First Week of Bicycle Ownership

Lowcountry
on 4/30/12 9:39 pm - Lady's Island, SC
I'm loving it! I've spent the better part of the week staying close to home building up my miles from 4 miles the first day to 8.5 the last ride in the neighborhood. So, on Sunday i decided that I needed to spread my proverbial wings a little. There is a route in the town I live in that is beautiful. It includes riding next to an astoundingly beautiful bay for a large chunk of the ride then over a very old swing bridge and through a shaded rode to a newer bridge that has a pretty damn good incline. We tacked on a little extra on the ride and went through "The Point" which is populated with a huge collection of pre civil war antebellum houses and one pre American Revolution house. I did pretty good for about 98% of the ride. This was the first time I've encountered any hills and I wasn't prepared for it. I kept dropping gears till I couldn't keep up the cadence needed to keep me going forward. It was a learning experience and I'm gonna be working the bridges a couple of times this week. I'm getting new pedals and shoes that clip in so this should help since I'll be pushing and pulling with each stroke.(The bear claw pedals with left their mark on my legs) BTW my ass isn't hurting at all now!!!

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

Jillian O.
on 4/30/12 9:44 pm - Fort Riley, KS
Great to hear!

I need to come up there and ride those hills, its is pancake flat here

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Lowcountry
on 4/30/12 9:51 pm - Lady's Island, SC
We have a few great bridges. When I start commuting I'll have to go over two. They aren't nearly as steep as the Talmedge Bridge but for my fledgling legs it's enough. I'd love to ride with you but I'm sure you would tire of going that slow quickly.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

Jillian O.
on 5/1/12 1:57 am - Fort Riley, KS
I ride with my best friend, I am faster than her, so every few miles I will turn around and get her, no big deal, actually fun

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/1/12 1:28 am
Congrats! Keep pushing yourself, and soon you won't even notice those hills!

Thanks for the update- keep 'em coming.

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Paul C.
on 5/1/12 2:55 am - Cumming, GA
 Congrats!

Hills can be a total  pain! but they are also a major reward.  Just remember to shift before it gets to hard to pedal.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
superconducting
on 5/1/12 6:10 am - Montgomery, NY
 you're gonna love clip in's, just be safe and practice a lot before going too crazy, and when you fall, get back up :)  

cabin111
on 5/2/12 9:22 am
Enjoy the ride!!  The bike is very addicting.  As the pounds drop further the better it becomes...Less weight to push along. 
DaisySibyl
on 5/4/12 7:46 pm
Congrats. You will progress in no time :D
Most Active