Separated Abs question

Chickenboob
on 2/18/16 3:20 pm - Rockland, Canada

SO I have been working on abs and upper body while my ankle has been healing from a fracture. A girl at work was talking about how women, particularly those who have had babies tend to have separated abs and need to train them differently or the stick out rather than lie flat. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks

Kiri

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 2/19/16 12:42 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I havent. Does the girl at your work have a six pack? Would you be opposed to having one? I know I wouldnt...

Its pretty tough to build enough muscle to show, and your abdomen has to be pretty lean to show ab muscles. Like,

Chickenboob
on 2/19/16 1:36 pm - Rockland, Canada

I would love a six pack. She was just saying that some an exercised are counter productive if you have this issue. For example,  front planks not good, side planks are ok.  I know I need to be lean for them to show. That likely won't happen for me. Which is fine. I was just curious if others had heard about it. 

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

N. Murphey
on 2/26/16 1:54 am
Yes, as you indirectly said ab exercises do not reduce your belly fat. To develop your ab muscles work them all, upper, lower and obliques. You might consider doing your exercise with some resistance like holding some weight at chest level when doing sit ups or crunches and some weight around your feet for leg raises. As for the exercises sit ups or crunches maybe on an incline for the upper abs. Leg raises or scissors for the lower abs (knees bent if your back is not able for straight legs). If you have the option of letting your legs dangle with upper body propped up and then raise your knees to your chest that's a good one (I can't do straight leg but if you can go for it).. If you want some variety you can try using a stability ball. Passing it from your ankles to your hands and back again is good. There are loads of variations using a stability ball. Also lying on your side and crunching shoulder to hip for the obliques. Doing bicycles opposite elbow across to other knee is good. Try to have your hands at your temples. Its usually not a good idea to clasp your hands behind you head as you can strain your neck. You might want to work your back a bit for a break and to keep it in good form. Try to bend your body in controlled motions not jerky and DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE. Good luck
NorthernStar
on 3/1/16 10:30 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

She's talking about diastasis recti. This is when the rectus abdominus separate (the "six-pack" muscles that sit on top of your abdomen). It happens frequently in pregnant women and can cause a pooch in the tummy area (different from simply having excess fat there). A physiotherapist or even your GP can diagnose you.

You can google all kinds of exercises for this. The key thing is to lay off a lot of traditional ab work (crunches, twisting) and focus on exercises that activate your transverse abdomus muscles (planks, etc).

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active