Alcohol..???

all-about-fun
on 2/11/11 11:57 am - Minden, Canada
How soon after RNY did you realize there was a problem...??
With alcohol I mean..
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/11 11:51 am
Depends what you mean.

If you mean abusing it, that is very common. Seek councling and get your ass to AA before you have a worse addiction than food. It is too common after RNY.
Suite1
on 3/28/11 12:46 pm - Dayton, OH
I was told not to drink for a year and only then on special occasions.  I haven't had any alcohol, other than cooking with wine in a recipe, since September 1st.   I really don't know if I'll go back or not, I tend to be an all or nothing girl and feel better with nothing in this case.   Since it isn't absorbed in the small intenstines and dumps right into your blood stream, I just don't think I want to go there.

That being said, i really miss a nice glass of a full bodied red wine - mostly because I just love the texture of it in my mouth.   I remember being about two months post op seeing a bartender pour a tall frosty mug of beer and thought that it looked soooo good.  When I really thought about it, I realized it was the frosty mug I wanted, not the actual beer.   I'm a sucker for good design and packaging, so I make a point of occasionally drinking out of special glasses, even if it's only water with lemon or a crystal light.  At my birthday party, I brought a nice big red wine goblet and filled with with water & lime and my best friend about had a heart attack, she thought it was a gin & tonic! 

Everyone else freaks out that it's been nearly 7 months since I've had a drink - so I'm wondering if I had a problem BEFORE surgery and just didn't admit it.   But honestly, I feel so good having no alcohol, caffeine, soft drinks (carbonated beverages),  and little sugar, fat and processed foods in my system, I don't think I will go back.
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

chellseabelle
on 2/24/11 11:09 am
9 months til about 15 months to about out --- then my husband & I decided to get pregnant & then when my son and i wouldnt even consider touching it while preg or breast feeding.  I started again when he was a year old until he was almost 3.  he is now 3 1/2 & I have not attended AA but I have stopped drinking & hope to stay on the wagon.  did I mention I rarely drank before surgery.  I never thought it would be me, brownie mom, class mom for 10 years,  mother of 3.  but it was!!!!!  no one who sees me at school would ever know, I drank at home just like I ate IN ABUNDANCE.  a six pack == a gallon of ice cream!!!  its been hard & I want a beer but I know I can't.  when i realized I wasn't even aware of the amount of alcohol I was bringing in to my home I realized it was not only a problem for me but could easily become a problem for my oldest daughter.  I woudn't even know if a six pack was missing, I was drinking so much.  Not to mention the cost the beer I drink is $9 a six pack & I was going thru 3 six packs every two days. 
I'm here if you need to talk, i haven't been on here in years but felt I should come back

October 5, 2006 -- 152 lbs
  Januarl 1, 2006 -            March 2006  - 180lbs

Most Active