Need a little post-op info....

Tom T.
on 5/12/04 12:23 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL
Hi out there. I had surgery last Friday, 5/7/04, and was released from the hospital yesterday, 5/11/04. Needless to say, I'm delighted to be home, and feel like I've made enormous progress in just the past 24 hours. However..... I'm not sure what I should be feeling in my stomach, aside from pain when I cough. I feel full ALL the time, even if having nothing more than a vitamin and a mouthful of water. I'm walking around the block several times a day, but the feeling of bloat and fullness doesn't seem to decrease. Is this "normal?" If anyone has a few minutes, send me a note telling me what to expect for the next few days. Thanks! Tom
amreite1
on 5/12/04 9:01 pm
Hi there! Post-op I felt full alot too. I believe it may have to do with the swelling that occurs after surgery. You should start feeling better in a week or so. Get in as much fluids if you can. Now is not the time to worry about how often you put something in...because the amounts are so small. Try measuring out an ounce at a time and try to drink that in a half an hour. Then work up. Fluid intake is so important right now. Good luck and hope your recovery journey becomes a delight! Anna
ruthdebra
on 5/13/04 3:39 am - Palm Springs, CA
I agree - the fluids are the most important. Buy a few boxes of SF popsicles - they really help. Watch that your urine is not too dark(concentrated) - if it's almost clear then you're taking in enough fluids. You'll feel hungry soon enough. Did you have lap or open, I can't remember. If you had lap, you still must have abdominal gas. Not to worry. If pain is really severe, contact your surgeon. Did he or she give you anything? I was really lucky and was not in much pain after getting home. The fact that you're able to walk is wonderful. What did your doctor say about protein. I had a very hard time with the shakes but I really felt fine otherwise. Make some SF jello, drink some broth, etc. Don't be surprised at feeling tired for the first few weeks. I still get tired if I do a lot. Take it easy - change position a lot. And email me at [email protected] with any questions or if you need support. I don't always check this list. I'll be gone over the weekend - but back pretty early on Sunday - going to Las Vegas Pride. In Pride, Ruth
Donna M.
on 5/14/04 12:56 pm - Long Beach, CA
Hi Tom, It all sounds normal to me. Did you have open or lap? Either way, try to get your walking in as much as possible. You won't be able to get much in in the way of food or drink, but you have to keep hydrated and protien-ated. As for feeling full, you won't for quite a while. Your pouchie is healing and doesnt know down from up right now, so you really have to monitor what you eat. Im two months out and just starting to be able to tell more clearly what she's trying to tell me. You might want to try the May 2004 message board too. You can share with others who are right at your stage. I know that really helped me. Good luck, and post when you can! -Donna
track
on 5/19/04 6:22 am - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Just ran across your post, and a few days have gone by. Still have that full feeling? I had that feeling for a month of so. Get in your liquids, whether they are in s/f popsicle form or broth of water. Walking definitely helps the healing process. I was pretty detailed on my profile and tried to enter daily as a new postop, feel free to read thru and see if anything sounds familiar and apply whatever seems to work for you. This is a most amazing and awesome experience! The full feeling is as much a result from the surgery and stiching and anesthesia as it is the 'healing from within' process. Best advice I could give is to take it easy, and try to go by the guidelines, but they are not set in stone. All of this progress is gradual and a slowly accumulating process. Good luck and email me if you have any specific questions. Good luck! Track Open RNY Nov. 10, 2003 366/212/looking for 166 -154 lbs. w/46 to go for goal
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 375 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 949 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1326 views