Eating Disorders "Process of Change for Recovery"

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 7:36 am - Winnipeg, Canada
This was our last group meeting as we break for 2 weeks and resume back on February 16th for 12 weeks till April.  We talked about Change. I will try to break it down as it was very detailed and we sure have a lot of homework to do.

A brief summary of Change: The process of recovery is a process of change.  In getting well, we begin to gather valuable insights about ourselves and how we change, which we can apply in other areas of our lives.

The Stages Of Change:
Pre-contemplation:
When a problem is not a problem
Pre-contemplation refers to the stage you are in when you are not ready to acknowledge that a problem exists. Common examples include: 1)People whom you trust and care about express their concern about your problem with eating and you do not agree you have a problem. 2) You become defensive and minimize your behaviour by saying you don't engage in disordered eating behaviours when you really do. 3) You attend counselling only to get your parent, partner, or friends to back off.

Contemplation: In the contemplation stage you acknowledge you have a problem but do not make a commitment to change.  Common reasons to resist change is afraid that you will not succeed or want to avoid the anxiety that comes with change. For example, you may be scared about how your eating disorder is affecting your health and want to stop but your are also scared ofhow you will cope without the behaviours.

Preparation: Preparing to make postive and healthy changes
Once you have made a commitment to change, and you have set a specific goal, you are ready for the preparation stage of change. For example "I want to stop weighing myself so i will get rid of myscale or put it in the basement so I don't see it everyday" or " I want to feel better about my body so I willstart to listen to how I talk to myself about my body andchallenge these beliefs."  People in this stage believe in their ability to change and are willing to accept the anxiety that comes with the uncertainty of change.

Action: After preparation, you are ready for the action stage of change.  This is a busy time that requires a serious commitment of your time and energy.  This is where you actually change your behaviour and substitute healthy alternatives for the problem behaviours.  For example, you start to eat breakfast or you begin your day by reading the positve affirmation taped to you bathroom mirror or you call a friend to talk abotuyour feelings instead of using an eating disordered behaviour to cope with them.

Maintenance: Protecting postive and healthy changes.  Maintenance refers to the long term process that helps guard against returns to unwanted behaviours.   Continue to practice the skills in the action stage.  Remember slips/setbacks are to be expected.  Believe in yourself and use your perserverance to keep moving forward.  Use your support systems for continued supports. Reward yourself for your efforts and changes you have made.

Termination: Putting the problem behind you.  At termination stage, the problem is no linger an issue.  New behaviours are automatic and urges to use old behaviours are gone.  For most of us, the urge to use a problem behaviour fades but during times of stress, may resurface.  Always be prepared for a slip and remember it is only human to want to return to well know ways of coping during times of stress or pain, even if they are not the best for us.

I want to share this personal journey that I'm dealing with.  As I see all to often those struggling with eating issues even after having WLS or weight loss through other means.  I'm sure these changes can be applied to other unwanted behaviours like, drinking, smoking, crossing over addictions etc.

Be the change you wish to see in the world-unknown

mxz540
on 2/26/11 7:49 am, edited 2/26/11 7:49 am
I had lap band surgery in June, 2009.  I know I have an eating problem and am in a constant battle with myself.  I quit our group a year ago, they do not discuss the issues that got us there in the first place, even after I brought it up.

This statement really hit home - I'm in the Contemplation Stage.  Food is such an issue with me, I know I need to quit snacking, constant battle.  I'm going to print this statement so I can read it, every day, if needed to get me on the right track.

I've gained 13# and need to get it OFF!  Otherwise, I fear it will creep back on and I'll be in denial once more.

Thank you for posting this statement!
Most Active