Is this normal after surgery?

amersbee
on 4/4/11 1:22 am
I had my surgery on March 16th. I am now eating pureed foods. I can eat normal foods but chew, chew, chew. I don't have saline in my band yet and won't until the 21st. I am hardly losing any weight. At least my scale is telling me I am not losing. One minute I was down to 254 and the next I am up 261. What am I doing wrong? I get my two protein drinks in a day. For breakfast this morning I had a scrambled egg with a teaspoon of salsa. I usually eat that about 6 am. Then a protein drink at 9 am. Lunch at noon. Another protein at 3 pm and dinner at 6 pm. I started walking a little too now because I am getting frustrated.

I haven't had my post op appointment yet and am just nervous to go in there and not have hardly lost anything =(

Any info or suggestions, much appreciated.
Thanks bunches,
Amy
pam57
on 4/4/11 1:35 am - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
 It sounds like you are doing everything right.  Be patient the weight loss will happen.  Make sure you are drinking all of your water (8 cups) every day.  The water helps keep you flushed out.  I don't think  doctors expect much weight loss until you get your fill level working, so don't worry about the doctor's reaction.

Keep us posted

Pam

Kate -True Brit
on 4/4/11 2:28 am - UK

Sorry to those of you who have seen me post this before!!!

The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet. 

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tiff tells all
on 4/4/11 3:46 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
this actually sounds pretty normal. You lose a good chunk pre-op during liquids and post op during liquids but as soon as you start adding in real food, you gain a few back. Sorry they didn't fill you in on that part.

The good news is that it will balance out. Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure to get in your water and walking. The walking is going to help keep that muscle tone while your body starts to whither. WHICH IS A GOOD THING!  Congratulations.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Shaesnana
on 4/4/11 7:11 am - Davenport, FL
You are doing just fine.  First of all, stay OFF that darn scale!!!   Your body is not in losing mode, it is in healing mode.  The weight will come off.  Don't start getting discouraged already!!!  You've got a long journey ahead.  This is not like days of old.   You are not on a diet to lose weight and go back to eating like most of us always did.  This is a lifetime journey.   Let your clothes tell you that you're losing.  Don't let that scale dictate to you how you feel about yourself.   Staying off the scale at this point in my journey is what helps me.  Just sharing what works for me.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:22 am - Des Moines, IA
This is a time for healing and following your surgeon's plan closely for the safety of your band.  I agree with the above posters.  I know you want to see the scale steadily move down, but it's a journey that takes patience.  It will happen.  You don't need to be nervous about your appt. regarding the weight.  They are working for you and they want your band to "settle in" and heal.

Walking is a great exercise, keep it up!

Kristi
grannymedic1
on 4/4/11 10:05 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I never lost an ounce until after my third week out. I did, however lose inches, or changed shape. Just don't worry, you are entirely normal. I have even seen people do the same thing after RNY. If you allow yourself time to heal, follow your surgeons plan, and do your best it will happen. Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active