Just got insurance approval...Freaking out!!!

bonitachica9679
on 5/12/11 11:44 pm - Huntington, WV
So my info was submitted to insurance Monday afternoon, 5/9. They said it would probably take about 30 days till I heard anything. Then first thing this morning I got a call from the surgeon’s office saying it was approved. My jaw dropped. I figured I would wait 30 days for them to tell me NO or you need to jump through 50 more hoops first.

The nurse is going to call me back today to let me know the first available date (she speculated it would be at least July if not later).

Now I'm super nervous. I started this who process May 9th of 2010. I put it on the back burner after buying a house in July and just got back to finishing everything up in this past April. I haven't been nervous about having the surgery since i started the process. Until now at least, now that it's real. I'm starting to think about all the things that are going to change. Mainly never being able to drink any kind of soda every again. How have those with the bank curbed your soda cravings? 
Tarris
on 5/12/11 11:48 pm
I drank between 5 and 10 diet cokes per day right up until the day before surgery.  I hated the idea of giving it up.  I went cold turkey starting at midnight the night before surgery...and haven't had even a sip since.  Believe it or not, I only get the craving every so often...mostly in the morning if I'm too close to my hubby when he opens a can.  You really will learn to love and crave water!

Lisaizme
on 5/13/11 2:59 am - TX
Congratulations on getting approved!! 

Believe it or not, it's not hard at all to give up sodas.  And I was a very dedicated supporter of the Coca-Cola company.  I swear we should've bought stock in it we drank so much Diet Coke. 

My kids & hubby still drink it, but I'm very cool with not having it. I will not buy it for them though.  If they want it, they have to get their own.  And did you know that carbonated drinks leach calcium from our bones?  Yikes.

There are tons of other things to drink that aren't carbonated.  Powerade Zero, Crystal Light, Herbal Teas, etc. etc. etc.

I had (and have) more trouble giving up processed carbs.  I still fight the battle of the saltine.  :)

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

psychomom
on 5/13/11 3:12 am - China Grove, NC
Yay for you getting approved !!!! Your time will go by very quickly now there is plenty to do before surgery :)  The soda thing was hard for me but I gave it up cold turkey too.  I think that is the only way. LOL It was the first thing I had in the morning and last thing I had a night. (let's not even get me started on having to give up beer.LOL) BUT.... it is SO worth it and you can do it!!!! It is not as hard as you think. Crystal lite was my savior thru that part.
I have snuck and had a sip of Dt coke and even tried to drink a beer here and there and let me tell you ....# 1 I do not really miss either one they do not taste the same and it is #2 TOTALLY not worth it now with the  bloat you feel even after a sip or two. I do not even bother.LOL
Good luck on your journey !

debbie H.
on 5/13/11 4:03 am - AR
Your doc must really be very busy.  You have been in the process for a long time.  Will be looking for you on the losers bench:) Keep us informed!

bonitachica9679
on 5/13/11 5:23 am - Huntington, WV
Thank you all for the feedback and support. I got my surgery date a few hours ago. It's set for July 18th. I know I have to go on the pre opp diet 2 weeks prior to the surgery, but is there other stuff I should be doing before that time? This is going to be a very long 2 months.
Most Active