Getting nervous over weight gain

CScott0925
on 7/9/11 10:44 pm
Ok, so I had surgery on 6/29 and lost 15 pounds the first week. Now I am on soft foods, 2-4 oz every two hours, trying to get 64 oz of water, and exercising. I have noticed that I have gained about 2-3 pounds back and wonder if this is normal or a backwards slide?

Thoughts?

Carrie

Lifebeauty
on 7/9/11 10:47 pm
Carrie you should be getting in your water.  I would not worry but I would be tracking my foods.  You know that the band will not stop anything from sliding through.  Maybe your soft foods have sodium and you are holding water.  It could be a lot of things.  Just be cautious.  Take care and keep up the good work
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Jean M.
on 7/9/11 10:58 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Carrie,

As Z mentioned, there are a lot of things that can affect your weight, not just what you eat and drink or how you exercise, but also hormones, fluid retention, medications, etc . etc. Losing 15 pounds the first week is tremendous, and your body may be in a panic now thinking it's going to starve to death so it better hold on to every single calorie you consume.

My weekly weight loss was very uneven. It went something like this: -1, -2, +1.5, -1, 1.5, +3, -4, -.4, and so on. As long as the overall trend was downward, I was OK with it. For me, a backwards slide is gaining 20 pounds, not 2 pounds.

Just keep doing what you're doing!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Lin_2
on 7/10/11 12:31 am
Hi Carrie!
As you know, I'm a newbie bandster too. Since the surgery I've lost 13 lbs over two weeks. It was not as rapid as yours. I have read that people sometimes do gain when they start soft foods.

Does your doc want you to eat every 2-3 hours? Mine wants me to only have 3 meals a day and no snacks. He said I can have one high protein snack if I must. (I have a snack every day!!)

Anyway, it's been hard enough to get the fluids in with cutting out those 6 hours (no drinking 30 min before eating, eating 30 min and no drinking 30 min after). I'm basically shut down water wise for an hour and a half per meal as you see. Also, I was told not to drink more than 5 oz in a 30 min period. So I'm not sure how you are getting all your fluid in eating every 2-3 hours.

I REALLY notice when I don't get my fluids in. I get headaches, constipation, tired, etc.

Maybe your doc's office or the NUT (nutricianist) can give some suggestions.

I agree with Jean too, your body may just need a chance to stabilize.

Good luck and hang in there!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 1:09 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I have never heard of 2-4 oz of food every two hours. Is this on top of your three meals a day ?  IMO you will gain back your weight if you are eating 2-4 oz every two hours. Usually they have you eat three meals a day and that's it. Between getting your protein and water in there is no room for any other food.

Is it a possibility that you might have misread your post op food plan ? Call you doctors office and go over it with them one more time. As far as gaining some weight back, then yes it is normal. Once you have been released for exercise you will see the weight start to fall off again.

Good luck

Lisa
CScott0925
on 7/10/11 2:47 am
Thanks to all of you. I don't think I am getting enough water in, I am eating sodium in my protein, and of course, hormones. I am eating approximately 5-6 meals a day, but I cannot get in more than 4 oz at a time. I have already introduced exercise in the form of walking and the elliptical. When I track my food, I am around 700-1000 calories, so my body could be freaking out a bit. Maybe this is why they ask new bansters to stay off the scale!

Carrie

Most Active