To fill or not to fill???

bonitachica9679
on 9/24/11 12:38 am - Huntington, WV

Hi All,

I've been loving my band since I got it on July 18th.  From my pre op diet to now, I've lost 33lbs. Most of this occurred before I started back on solids. My doc put 2ccs in my band when it was placed. I haven't has a single side effect of the band, no stuck episodes, PBs, slime ect... I haven't come across a problem food yet...not even bread. I've splurged twice and got a pizza but only ate 2 pieces instead of half the large pie. My restriction isn't limited to as little as 1 cup of food like some have said it should be when properly adjusted.  I  can usually eat a small meal (6oz fish, small baked potato, and veg). I am still only averaging about 1200 calories (I eat about 1600 on my days off and then drop below 1000 or so on days I work).  Although my weightloss has tapered off some the last month and a half, I'm still losing.

My first fill appt is scheduled for this Tuesday. I really don't know if I want it. Even though I'm still about 80lbs from my goal weight, I'm comfortable at my current weight so losing more than 1lb a week isn't a necessity for me like it was at the beginning of this. I fear I'm becoming a bit complacent because I have this new found energy, i don't get out of breath just getting up from a seated position, and I can finally exercise again. 

I have also started cycling. I am up to 20 miles a ride. I am worried that I wouldn't be able to eat enough before a long ride to sustain my energy if I get a fill. Additionally, I take a pill that can't be crushed and there aren't any alternate forms so I don't want to create problems there.

The nurse at my drs office said that when weightloss slows, it is time for a fill. I don’t' know that I agree with this.

Based on this, should I go ahead with the first fill or not? 

Thanks!

Jo 1962
on 9/24/11 12:46 am, edited 9/24/11 12:48 am - NearHouston, TX
Hola Bonitachica!

Welcome to the loser's bench!. You are doing fantastic, having no issues at all. I agree with you..why would you want it any tighter if you are losing? YOU are the patient and you dont have to be forced to get a fill if you dont want to

P.S. I have the same issue wih the non-crushable pills I have to take each day. I'm a slow loser but any tighter than I am right now, I couldnt take the only pain pill that works for me.

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Laurena
on 9/24/11 12:52 am - Louisville, KY
Hi...congrats on your weight loss! Only you and your Dr.should make that decision,but to get fills will help you in your journey to loose more weight.I had surgery in January and had six fills and now I am doing good .I take a big pill too and it does not get stuck.I believe your Nurse is right what she said,cause I experienced it myself.
Good Luck to you. 

steelerfan1
on 9/24/11 2:40 am
My doc has always told me if you are losing dont mess with anything . Get a fill when you stop losing weight for months at a time and sometimes he dont even like doing that .

If it was me and I was losing and you are happy with that then I would say no .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Kate -True Brit
on 9/24/11 5:22 am - UK
Don' t mess with things that are working!

I had two criteria for fills and only got a fill if both were met.

1. Was I finding it very hard to limit my meal size to one which was compatible with losing weight?
2. Was I getting too hungry between meals and finding it very hard not to eat?

IMO saying that if you are losing weight means you don't need a fill doesn't add up. You can spend your time being thorougly miserable, fighting your need for food. You'll lose weight! But the whole point of being banded is to make it less difficult, less unpleasant. So I just used the two criteria above.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

looking4hope
on 9/25/11 9:18 am
I would wait. I was in the same boat when it came to my second fill. I got the fill as my doc suggested my weight-loss is about the same as it was 1-2 pounds a week but I have about 10 times in 19 days. I didn't have this problem after my first fill. I wish I had trusted myself. I will next time. I would skip it you could always call in a few weeks if you change your mind. Good luck!!
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Nikki4381
on 9/25/11 4:53 pm - NJ
Congrats on your loosing streak!!

I too have not had a fill since my surgery back in may. Loss has been slow but since Im a band over bypass revision I wanted it to be slow and steady.  I am very happy with how things have gone so far but as of last week I have lost my insurance and my job and soo afraid to find out how much this is going to cost out of pocket.. I have applied for cobra so I will be insured soon.

Since then I have kicked into high gear with the gym and strickly watched my food intake.   I am praying to  keep going as long as I can with out a fill.  So I guess my main question to all of you veteran banders...am I going to do any damage to my band by NOT filling??  Has anyone gone for as long as I have with out a fill and been successful?  At my last Dr. appt she was extremly happy with my progress thus far (back in July) and told me to make an appointment when I felt things slowing down or saw any change in my eatting habits...

Sorry if what I am asking/saying not make any sense... I just want to make sure I do not make a mess of things since I am doing this a second time around and need to be successful.

Thanks for any help! and again Congrats Bonitachica! (don't mean to steal your post, you just asked some questions that I would love answers to plus more)

Thanks all!!
steelerfan1
on 9/26/11 12:16 am

Nikki,

There is several on here that has never had a fill and lost their weight.   I had my surgery back in Nov 2010 and I have never had a fill.  A man at my support group he went over two yrs without a fill and lost over 200 pounds.

My doc has always told me just because you got the band dont mean you have to have fills for it.  He has a handful of successful people that has never had a fill with their band lost all their weight and maintaining .  Like I said there is several on here that has done the same thing they just dont post alot .   for some people just having the band around the stomach is just enough of a reminder that they dont need to overeat at meal times :o)

Good luck

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active