I cannot feel bad for you if you don't follow the rules!

pitablond
on 2/15/12 7:15 am - Harrisburg, PA
My hubby did not have a private room during his hospital stay this week.  He is doing great so far by the way.  The nurses said that he has been the easiest RNY patient in a long time.  Probably because I was there doing most of their duties!  lol  Anyways, he got a roomate last night.  The guy had his band put in three years ago (like me) and it slipped.  Neither of us told him that I had the band and I am so glad that we didn't.   He told us about losing 90lbs and that he had a lot more to go.  He isn't sure how his band slipped.  During the two hours that I was in the same room with him he was a jerk to the nurse, whined about the pain, and complained about the liquid diet they had him on.  He said that things changed since he had surgery although I didn't notice any.  The dietician came in and explained the very, oh so typical, post op diet that he would have to do again.  She was very specific and made sure he understood.  Not 5 minutes after she left, he was on the phone telling someone that they would have to pick up a few things at the store for him. My mouth dropped when he said "juice, pick up some juice...yeah, it can be sugar free...but it doesn't matter". Umm hellooo...it DOES matter if your NUT just sat there telling you that it matters.  Ugh...

I am by far perfect but my goodness.  Don't whine about things if your not willing to follow the rules.  Makes me wonder if his slip was because he disregarded other rules as well.

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

michele1
on 2/15/12 8:41 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Glad your husband is doing great...... and I agree partly with the statement that "I cannot feel bad for you if you don't follow the rules" however I don't know many that are compliant 100% of the time all the time.

Of course right after surgery is the most important time to follow the rules to a T......now to give the other patient the benefit of the doubt : In my case the dietitian at the hospital and the hospitals information packet about post op diet was not the same as my surgeons....I was able to have clear liquids including juice and it did not state that it should be sugar free, it did say that it should be used sparingly and if used watered down....my surgeons main priority was that it was a time to heal.........so maybe his "surgeons" nutritionists diet was different.......... In fact many doctors instructions are different........ 

I would think that if he is having a "corrective" surgery he would do things different if he didn't the first time. Although I think that surgeon error during surgery, placement of the band or band defects are more to blame than operator error in most cases.....

I of course would have said something LOL.....like gee I have the band and my surgeons instructions are different....LOL.......

It was a good example for your husband though of what not to do if the other patient was going against his surgeons advice........
pitablond
on 2/15/12 9:54 am - Harrisburg, PA
You have a good point but him and I have the same doctors AND the hospital only works our specific office so it's pretty unlikely that they are on a different page.  Your right, my husband looked at me like "whoa, I'm not even THAT dumb".  Like I said, Im far from perfect but if I were there getting a "repair" of some sort, I would definitely be following rules...at least for a little while!  lol

michele1
on 2/15/12 9:02 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Agreed, some people have to keep learning the hard way I guess.....doesn't make sense to me why people do what they do LOL......  

Thanks,

Michele
Lisa O.
on 2/16/12 3:20 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I was ALLOWED juice but I CHOSE not to drink it.  I didn't go through WL surgery to keep eating/drinking the things that got me morbidly obese.  It's very hard to stay that strong and I'm by far perfect but I was an angel for the first 9 months! :)

You're a saint for not mentioning that you have a band.  There's no way I could have kept my mouth shut!  I'm a  WLS evangelist!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

pitablond
on 2/16/12 4:05 am - Harrisburg, PA
I figured that he had the paperwork and talked to the dietitician...if he wanted to be back in there and in pain, shame on him.   I hadn't slept well in days,  I was exhausted and I didn't feel like lecturing. Matter of fact, this post sounds a bit more harsh than what I wanted it to now that I reread it.  Can you tell that I'm not the friendliest person when I'm tired.  LOL!

Normally, I have no issues showing pictures and talking to people about my experience. Matter of fact, the first day I really wanted to walk into rooms asking who had the band just so that I could tell them how much I love mine. 

NanaB.
on 2/16/12 8:58 pm
 I thought JUICE of ANY KIND was a NO NO to all NEWLY banded patients,OR ANY weight loss patients,  first of all it has sugar, secondly....any TYPE of REAL juice like orange juice will cause pain and heart burn on newly banded patients due to the acid content.

Some of the instructions are common sense, I have heard it all, I remember hearing of stories of people going out and eating at restaurants and eating FULL meals days after being banded, (their excuse?) They did not have restriction and they were in "lap band hell" and had to wait on their first fill to "follow rues"....NO WONDER the US has the highest rate of complications compared to Europe.  But YET when their band slips...they complain about their CRAP BAND...LOL

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

c_cubed
on 2/17/12 9:08 pm
I agree.  You can see that very same issue in the LapBand forum!  Folks have got to realize that it requires real change, not just surgery,  in order to have positive results. 

Exercise, portion control and food choices have to be decided upon on a daily basis. 

I just don't see how its possible to not lose weight with the band (other than an actual problem with the band itself), if you're willing to make the appropriate changes. 

Glad your husband is doing well!!
A H.
on 2/19/12 10:34 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
I can have real juice, watered down 1/2 or 1/4 if I am feeling light headed because I am on clears for 4 freaking weeks and didn't get to start protein until day 8 post op. (I am a Band to VSG revision).
I bought juice before surgery and had to use it a few days ago.  Just saying, maybe don't be so judgmental.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

pitablond
on 2/19/12 10:57 pm - Harrisburg, PA
I wouldn't be judgemental if I wasn't sitting right beside the dietician when she was giving the rules.  I know that everyone is different but to disregard the rules you were just given is crazy.   I was like Lisa O. and followed the rules to a T...maybe Im the crazy one! Like I said, I was tired so my post probably came across more harsh that I meant.  Oh well...he's not my problem.  I shouldn't of been listening in the first place but it was hard not too in that tiny room! lol

Most Active