slip vs prolapse

nickilin
on 10/18/12 12:12 pm
I know what a slip is, but I have a prolapse. What's the difference?
hopeinarizona
on 10/18/12 12:22 pm
I had my band removed two weeks ago because of a bad prolapse. A prolapse is when the stomach pops up through the band. In my case, it closed off the stoma ( my band was completely unfilled) so I could not get anything down.

Will they be doing surgery to repair it?

mommyslittlemonster
on 10/23/12 2:41 am - Stanwood, WA
On October 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, hopeinarizona wrote:
I had my band removed two weeks ago because of a bad prolapse. A prolapse is when the stomach pops up through the band. In my case, it closed off the stoma ( my band was completely unfilled) so I could not get anything down.

Will they be doing surgery to repair it?
Were you a cash payer? What did they charge you for removal?
hopeinarizona
on 10/23/12 3:53 am
Insurance is covering it at 90% after I pay my deductable, which is $3,000. Since it has only been three weeks, I have not gotten the bills yet. This is a different insurance than the one the band placement was covered under.

Jean M.
on 10/18/12 9:11 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
A proplapse is a type of slip.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Jean M.
on 10/18/12 9:11 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
I mean a PROLAPSE, not a proplapse. I miss the edit button!

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

nickilin
on 10/18/12 10:26 pm
they removed 2cc on Wed, then called yesterday to tell me if 100% of my symptoms had not resolved then i need to have all removed. I still have a l ittle discomfort so Monday or Tuesday I will go in to have the rest removed:(  If what the Dr initially thought was a hernia is the prolapse then they said it is very small, so I guess that is a god thing.  
So, no surgery and hopefully not at all.  I had my band 5 yrs ago in Mexico and have no insurance coverage for bariatrics.  i don’t know if i could fight that or not since I have been successful.  I hope I don’t have to find out.

nickilin
on 10/20/12 9:51 am
Update: I'm going in a couple hours for a complete infill. I was told my prolapse is very small but they don't want to take any chances. The reason it wasn't caught initially is because it is so small. I told the director of the clinic (who taught the dr how to read the fluoror) that I was kinda starting to freak out. She said no, I'll tell you when you need to. At this point no, you're just fine.
hopeinarizona
on 10/20/12 12:50 pm
Good news! Hopefully that unfill will allow everything to settle back into place. Take it easy on yourself and be conservative with fills when you are able to start them again.

mommyslittlemonster
on 10/23/12 2:31 am - Stanwood, WA
what were your symptoms of this prolapse?
110 pounds down and still going!

Most Active