APPROVED!

Bestbiomed
on 4/22/11 2:23 pm

Guys,
This is my second go round' on OH.  I used to read the posts while I was considering a surgical option, but when it came time to login to post, I couldn't remember by login so I had to sign up again.  I wanted to let you all know that I appreciate all of the topics and help that you offer to each other.  As a newbie, it can be a daunting task to digest all of this information. (sorry for the pun)

I was submitted on Tuesday and got my approval today!  Looks like I'm going to be joining the club after all.  My sx is scheduled for 5/12 and now reality is setting in. Can you help me out with what things I should buy/have in order to make it through the first month or so?

Thanks,
Rodney

sjbob
on 4/22/11 7:23 pm - Willingboro, NJ
 Don't stock up in advance.  I did and couldn't eat most of the protein powder I got.  I had no problems with milk products prior to surgery but I was lactose intolerant for 9 months following surgery.  Even lactaid and other products made to ease with the digestion of lactose didn't help me.  I ended up giving my powder away to a friend.  And, I learned that bodybuilders generally want powders with high carbs.

When you first start out, you will be on liquids and then soft foods.  Check with the dietican at your surgeon's office as to what foods you should be eating at various stages of your post-op diet.  If you look in the Diet and Nutrition Forum, it lists many of the major forms of WLS on the far right side and when you hit that link, it describes the appropriate food plan.  Some doctors don't want their patients to even use protein powder.  Start slowly on all post-op foods.  note if you can't tolerate something when you first try it.  You may be able to tolerate it in a few weeks.  Be aware of any warning of how you are told to use your pouch.  They are most critical when you first get the new pouch.  It will strenghen as you go along and you will gradually be able to have more varied foods.
Bestbiomed
on 4/23/11 1:05 pm
 Thanks for the heads up on the link, I'm going to check it out now.  As for not stocking up in advance, I appreciate the advice.  I was online looking at some videos of what people bought prior to sx and they could have easily paid for a great vacation with all of the stuff they bought early.  Nice to have someone keeping you grounded.

Thanks
jdm511
on 4/22/11 11:31 pm - Ballston spa, NY
First off congratulations!

Your tastes will be different after surgery, things that taste good now will taste real bad, foods you dislike you will crave.

Chap stick for hospital

Sugar free jello, sugarfree popsicles, crystal ligh****er are what you will have at first.

When you are on full liquids add in sugarfree pudding, protein shakes (trial sizes, until you find the ones you like)

Puree stage, lowfat cottage cheese, sugar free yogurt, meats that you can tolerate after passing through the blender/magic bullet/food processor.  Chili,

Remember eat doc is a little different with their post op diet, they will review it with you completely.  You will also be eating 1 or 2 spoonfulls at a time (you might want to find a baby spoon), so food will last a long time, do not buy too much.  Food tolerences can change daily, eggs may make you feel ill and then one week later will settle very well.  It is all trial and error.

When you are cooking, the freezer will be your friend.  After a month or two out, chili always settled very well for me so I kept some in the freezer, so it was always available.

Bestbiomed
on 4/23/11 1:08 pm
 Great advice!  You have recommended some of my favorites.  Honestly I don't know how I'll be able to eat with a baby spoon.  I know I'll feel much different post-op but I'm willing to look a little silly with a sippy cup and baby spoons to take my life back and live it to the fullest.

Thanks

cabin111
on 4/23/11 3:05 pm
Which surgery are you getting?  It would be nice for us to know...We usually don't battle here about surgeries...More for the Main Forum.  A few things off the top of my head.  Home from the hospital...Sleep when and where you can; floor, bed, couch, recliner...Use pillows in a creative way.  The first few days with any surgery you'll be climbing the walls with bordom...Allow the healing process to take place.  Try and get to a local support meeting if you can before surgery...Good info and you can ask away.  Whatever surgery you are getting go to that OH specific forum for good info...I had the RNY and I enjoy that forum...I can relate to the people there who have had the same surgery.  Men lose the weight faster than women...We have a larger muscle structure.  Don't go hog wild on new clothes...They will be falling off of you in weeks...Look to the thrift stores till the weighloss slows.  Ask away on the questions.  Brian
Dave T.
on 4/24/11 10:33 am - MN
Bring extra pillows for the ride home. Don't stock up on food your tastes will change.   make sure to find a sf beverage you like.  My favorite is the sf arnie palmer mix

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 28 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 57 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 81 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 94 views