plastic surgery

dcumper
on 3/8/12 4:57 pm - London Ontario, Canada
 Hi everyone

I had my surgery just 2 years ago at the barix clinic in michigan.  Before surgery I weighed 260 lbs now today I weigh 106.  I did go down to 95 and have managed to gain back 10 pounds.  Now my question is about plastic surgery that I need.  I had a full tummy tuck in 1995 after my 100 pound weight loss so I dont need a panni.  I am wondering what OHIP does for breast surgery.  I now find that my breasts are always itchy and at night when I take off my bra they are so itchy that I am almost scratching them raw. I figure with all that excess skin tucked up in my bra all day they sweat and have yeast infection in them constantly.  I have measured from shoulder to nipple and it is 24 cm.  If anyone can give me directions what to do next it would be greatly appreciated.  I know that my family dr is behind me a 100 percent on getting the excess skin removed we just dont know what to do as I am her only patient that has had gastirc bypass surgery.  Also my aunt wants to look into the process here in Canada and any help we can get would be appreciated as well, as I know the process is alot different now as when I had my surgery 2 years ago.  thanks Deb

Deb
ericaFG
on 3/8/12 7:35 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 Deb - OHIP ONLY covers a breast reduction. Skin hang or rashes etc aren't the defining factor. If you don't have enough tissue to remove, they can't do it. So it would depend how much you have left. 

Id suggest contacting dr Matic (sp?) in London. He spoke at the OH retreat last year and I know he works with OHIP. 

At your weight, I'd imagine your breast tissue is mostly gone (as it does for most of us). So you may just need a lift, which is self pay. About $5-6 usually, although some drs go up over $10k. Shop around!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

dcumper
on 3/8/12 7:36 pm - London Ontario, Canada
 well i think they are nothing but skin as i went from a 48 f to a 36a
Deb
ericaFG
on 3/8/12 7:43 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 Sounds like it. Lol

A PS will most likely recommend a breast augmentation if you're an A cup. That's a few thousand more $$. 
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

dcumper
on 3/8/12 7:44 pm - London Ontario, Canada
 what is a breast augmentation and that would not be cover by ohip at all 

Deb
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/12 8:15 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Augmentation is when they put implants in.  They are not covered by OHIP.
Judy L.
on 3/9/12 1:39 am - Toronto, Canada
I was told ohip would only cover if you are a dd or larger.

irol770
on 3/9/12 2:35 am, edited 3/9/12 2:35 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I would go and ask a surgeon.  I was approved for breast surgery, which I haven't had yet but will have probably around May.  I'm trying to find a good time to take the time off and get it done.  My OHIP application was approved on the first try.  My panni was rejected and so now I am going to write an appeal letter for that and hope that it too will be approved.

I should also add that I was only a C to D cup at my largest.  I still wear a C cup but that is because of all the excess skin.  I'll probably only be a B after surgery. I did ask if the surgeon could do an augmentation at the same time and I would just pay the difference, but he told me that if I had any augmentation done at all that OHIP would not cover any of the surgery so I will not be doing that.  I'll just get the lift done for now. 
Glitter Text Generator

dcumper
on 3/9/12 3:26 am - London Ontario, Canada
 do you know what the criteria is to get approved for a lift

Deb
ericaFG
on 3/9/12 6:42 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Getting a lift covered is VERY rare.  I'm told that there isn't even an OHIP code for "lift", just reduction.  But I think in some cases with bad rashes etc. they stretch the limits of the "reduction".  Just my two cents!

Most Active
Recent Topics