Fitness myths from OH newsletter

Joyce J.
on 3/30/12 12:57 am - Scarborough, Canada

Thought this was interesting

Fitness Myths: Don’t be Fooled

For whatever reason, there appears to be a lot of misinformation about exercise and weight loss. It is hard to tell fact from fiction at times. There's one thing that is pretty much always true: any product or program that promises a perfect body for minutes a week is probably not valid. Sorry! But you can know what works and what does not. Knowing can mean the difference between realistic expectations and unwanted frustration.

Here are some of the most common misconceptions:
Myth: Light weights on your arms or legs can boost your exercise benefit.
Fact: When you carry or wear weights when walking or running, you are adding more stress and pull on the muscles and joints. It will slow you down, so you get less benefit from the aerobic exercise. It does not give you the benefit of strength training. To build muscles, you need to use weights that you can lift no more than 8 to 12 times in succession. To tone muscles, you need to use lighter weights with more repetitions.

Myth: Strength training will make women too muscular.
Fact: Since women have smaller muscles than men, it is difficult for them to build large muscles. Women who have larger muscles have been training for years and usually have had some help from supplements. Women who do strength training become stronger and increase bone density, which may help prevent osteoporosis later in life. Strength training a couple of times a week, incorporating a variety of exercises for the major muscle groups, will help lead to a lean and toned appearance.

Myth: You can spot-reduce any area of the body with specific exercises.
Fact: Spot reduction in any area of the body does not work. The most common misconception is that sit-ups or crunches will burn fat from the abdomen. Abdominal exercises are great for strengthening the core muscles, but will not flatten the stomach or burn fat specifically off the abdomen. The muscles are underneath the layer of body fat. The best way to reduce body fat is with a consistent program of aerobic exercise, strength training and stretching.

Myth: No pain, no gain.
Fact: Many people believe exercise must be painful to be beneficial. It is normal to be sore for a few days after a new workout, but you should not hurt beyond that. If the soreness does not go away or lasts for longer than a few days, something may be wrong. Physical pain is your body's signal to modify or stop an activity. Exercise should not be a painful experience.

Myth: If you stop exercising, your muscles will turn into fat.
Fact: Muscle tissue and fat tissue are completely different. It is not physiologically possible for this to occur. The muscles will become smaller when you stop strength training, but that does not mean you will gain fat. However, if you continue to eat the same amount of food as before, you may experience an increase in fat due to excess calories and a decrease in activity.

Myth: If you don't lose weight, there's no point in exercising.
Fact: Exercise has many benefits related to improved health and quality of life. Exercise lowers the risk of heart disease and diabetes, lowers triglycerides and raises the level of “good? cholesterol. Exercise has been shown to have psychological benefits as well; it can relieve depression and anxiety. For those doing strength training, it is important to remember that muscle tissue weighs more than fat; you may be decreasing your percentage of body fat and increasing lean muscle mass, and thus not see a decrease in weight on a scale. Monitoring your percentage of body fat along with weight may show that a greater percentage of your weight is lean muscle mass rather than fat, leading to improved health.

Myth: Stretching is not important because it does not help to weight loss.
Fact: Flexibility training and proper stretching can help to prevent injuries. Stretching helps maintain muscle and joint range of motion.

Myth: If you can't exercise regularly, why bother?
Fact: Anything you do will be beneficial. The current recommendation is 30 minutes of moderate activity on most days of the week. If you can't do this, try to fit in some increased activity during the week. Always remember, something is better than nothing.

Myth: Workouts must be intense to burn fat. You have to exercise until you are out of breath in order to lose weight.
Fact: When beginning an exercise program, you need to start at a slow to moderate pace and increase the intensity as tolerated. Exercising at an intensity level that is too high may make the exercise uncomfortable and not enjoyable. As a general rule, use the talk test: if you are unable to say a sentence or two without being completely out of breath, then you need to decrease your intensity.

Myth: If you didn't exercise when you were younger, it's too late to start.
Fact: It's never too late. No matter how old or out of shape you are, you can become physically active and improve the quality of your life. Start slowly and take into account any physical limitations. Never increase your activity or intensity by more than 10 percent a week. Exercise can reduce the risk of bone and muscle diseases and improve daily function. Consult a physician before beginning any exercise program, regardless of your age.

Myth: You have to sweat to have a good workout.
Fact: Sweating is not necessarily an indicator of exertion. Sweating is your body's way to cool itself. Your body temperature, clothing, genetics and more determine how much you sweat. It is possible to burn a significant number of calories without breaking a sweat— working out in a swimming pool, for instance.

Now that some of the common myths have been dispelled, you are better equipped to get in shape. This will help you to have realistic expectations and avoid frustration. Enjoy and have fun!

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/30/12 1:03 am
thanks Joyce

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/12 1:55 am - Canada
Good post. I think often times people only associate exercise with weight loss & it has SO many more benefits!

But I do take exception to this:
"Women who have larger muscles have been training for years and usually have had some help from supplements."

Yes, women do have to train longer to develop bigger muscles but they're not all on supplements. I know A LOT of pro lifters and NONE of them ever took supplements. Supplements are usually designed for men and can have serious side effects for women. Natural supplements do nothing and are a waste of time & money. When I was leg pressing close to 700lbs I did it with a lot of training and a clean diet - supplement free.
Joyce J.
on 3/30/12 2:01 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Simona

Good point there

PINK62
on 3/30/12 3:01 am - Canada
Hi Joyce, very interesting...where did you find this???

Life is full of challenges...we take things one step at a time...

Joyce J.
on 3/30/12 3:04 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

It is the OH newsletter, I get it via e-mail every month. I must have subscribed through OH ............... I have been getting it for years

kellybelly333
on 3/30/12 3:28 am - Toronto, Canada
Good post Joyce. The part about sweating is interesting to me. I have just started sweating again, a year after surgery. It's not a lot of sweat, and my face doesn't nearly go as red as it used to. But I will say, the lack of sweat made me wonder if I was even doing anything! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the lack of sweat now.....but this week, sweating like I have been at the gym has made me a bit happy lol.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics