Ottawa- OB/GYN recommnedations

Chickenboob
on 4/14/12 7:25 pm - Rockland, Canada
HI, I just found out that I am expecting 8 months out from a RNY. I have to find a high-risk OB. Have any of you been in a similar situation and can help me with some recommendations. Good reviews and bad reviews are appricated!

Many, many, many thanks.

Kirsten

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

nata
on 4/14/12 9:07 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I had Dr. Tawagi at Civic.
He has mixed reviews, but in my case he did a great job.
He's a little distant, straight to the business, doesn't do "emotional support"or "connection" thingy...was perfect for me, as I hate false personal touch.
He also doesn't do internal examinations, relying mostly on ultrasound and test results. Again, some people want to be checked old school style, but I hated it. I was over 250 pounds, so internal examination was my biggest scare. 
The only thing that we disagreed upon, was delivery - I wanted a C-section, he wanted natural. I was right lol, but that was resolved in delivery by attending OB.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
350Ann180
on 4/14/12 9:20 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Kirsten - congratulations!

Hope all goes well for you and the wee one!

Ann

charolli
on 4/15/12 2:12 am - Canada
Here is a link to the maternal fetal medicine unit in ottawa. I have worked professionally with Dr. Oppenheimer and Dr. Walker in the past. But there may be one of the OB/Gyn there who specialize with the morbidly obese &/or bariatric patients. Here in Toronto we have one who sees most of these patients as they do have unique needs and challenges. The other alternative is to call your bariatric clinic and ask them to refer you...they would probably also know who best for you to see.....don't be embarassed to call them...life happens and the most important thing is to get the best care possible for you. 

http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/obstetricsgynecology/eng/maternal_fetal_medicine_staff_list.html

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

magpie4495
on 4/15/12 9:50 am - Canada
Hi Kirsten,
I was high risk for my pregnancy because of my weight and I went with Dr. Huard.  He is a no nonsense kind of guy who can has a bit an odd sense of humour at times.  All in all he was excellent and has his high risk clinic out of the Civic which might be really convienent if you had your RNY there - all of your test results will be linked in and you will see him at the Civic after a certain point in your pregancy weekly.  Also in his office is Dr. Dante Pascale.  I ended up with a Csection and Dr. Pascale did the procedure.  If I have a second I would consider going with him.  Both are good Drs and their main office is located at Hunt Club and Merivale but there is plenty of parking and they have an ultrasound tech, blood lab and physio/massage right on sight.

Check out www.ratemymd.ca for reviews for all Ottawa OB/GYN.

Congratulations - a baby is so exciting.  I can't wait until I am farther out so we can try for #2
Cherill
HW: 260lbs  Pre-Optifast: 257lbs  SW: 242lbs  Happy: 150lbs SG: tbd 

Referral: January 2011, Orientation: July 8/11, Nut/Behav: Aug 22/11 Education Class: Nov 2/11 
Surgeon Appt: Nov 1/11, Surgery: Dec 5     

Catw
on 4/15/12 11:00 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Both of my pregnancies were high risk because of my weight, and I was referred to the High Risk Clinic at the Civic.  When I was there, I had Dr. Jacques Sylvain.  He was really nice and really good.    My second pregnancy, I went to his office to start, but he refered me back to the Civic, where he could monitor me better. I don't know how much experiance he has with post RNY, but I would be confident that he would either refer you to one who is, or get consults.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics