Just an update

Joyce J.
on 12/18/12 10:57 pm - Scarborough, Canada

Hi all,

Just an update on me. I have been watching the board as closely as I can but have just been crazy busy at work............. ya doing what they pay me for instead of being on here LOL Things are good with me. In Nov I was down 14 pounds for the month, pretty pleased about that. Dec has remained the same, but this time of year I am ok with that.             

I see lots of new people around on the board, glad everyone seems to be doing well. I see some are having trying times, it does get better.

A little about me for those who aren't familiar with me

My name is Joyce, I had RNY Aug 2005 in Ypsilanti Michegan at Barix Clinic, back in the days where we were told the waiting list in Ontario could be 5-10 years. I was approved by OHIP to have out of country coverage, and even with a BMI of 63 and severe sleep apnea I was at first denied OHIP coverage and had to appeal.

I lost 130 pounds(proud to say I have kept it off). The only thing is I never did get to my goal weight. I had some personal things happen and unfortunately got back into bad emotional eating habits(fortunately only gained about 20 pounds, but got it back off)

I will tell you In My Opinion that drinking diet pop and eating sugar are two of the worst things you can do for yourself.

I started drinking diet pop 6 months after surgery(because I was allowed to). I didn't have sugar for the first year after surgery, but when I felt like my "life was falling apart"(in retrospect it wasn't, but to me at that time it was) I got back into eating sugar(because I could, I was not a dumper)

Now 7 years later, being the strong person that I am(that took a lot for me to become, losing 130 pounds sure helped) I am back in the game, logging food on myfitnesspal(for the most part), going to the Y 3-4 times a week (mostly doing aqua fit due too much pain from arthritis), but I am so much happier with myself and life in general since losing weight. I am in a great relationship with a great guy.

It is true, I think, what they say about relationships and wls, if you have a good relationship with your significant other going in it will remain good, if not there are chances that relationship will not last. I left my ex husband 1 year and 10 months after surgery(after being with him 4 years). Been with my new guy 2 years and 2 months.

Anyway, it was the diet pop vs coffee that got me thinking about this. If I had to do this all over again............ I WOULD IN A HEART BEAT, but I would give up the diet pop and sugar and I would have also gotten counseling(which is not out of the question at this point LOL).............. Oh and a biggie(which I have always done) STAY INVOLVED WITH SUPPORT GROUPS.... coffee get to gethers, oline groups etc.

I wish everyone all the best in their journey and a wonderful Christmas, holiday season and Happy New Year.

Feel free to contact me anytime. Like I said I don't get to post on here as much as I would like

My e-mail is [email protected] and you can find me on Facebook through that e-mail as well

Take care

Joyce

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/18/12 11:00 pm

Hello Joyce. 14 pounds is pretty freakin' awesome! Good to hear from you again! Have a great Christmas!

Patm
on 12/18/12 11:35 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for posting. I am just 11 mths out and love to hear from people who have been there. People like you inspire me.

Thanks

birdiegirl
on 12/18/12 11:36 pm

Always great to hear your prospective Joyce.......and so glad you stuck around.....

Hope you have a great Christmas

stephanie2011
on 12/18/12 11:44 pm - toronto, Canada

Happy to see your post today Joyce.  It was nice to get an update on you as I had seen your posts in the past but didn't know your history.  Thanks for the update and have a great holiday.

steph

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Karen M.
on 12/19/12 12:51 am - Mississauga, Canada

Excellent insight and advice as always, Joyce. So happy to hear that you're so focused and on track - good for you!! XO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Patti K.
on 12/19/12 1:08 am - Kingston On, Canada

Well said Joyce...congrats on all of your "hard" work in November!!  sounds like you are back on the right track...have a wonderful Christmas...with your family....and loved ones....Patti K.

Amanda F.
on 12/19/12 1:47 am, edited 12/19/12 1:47 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

Thank you so much or sharing your story! I am pre-op and I love to hear the victories and pitfalls of the veterans on OH. I love how supportive this community is and I plan to take your advice and keep myself as involved as possible.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Sueg
on 12/19/12 3:48 am - Canada

It is sooo nice to see you here again. I remember you when i had my RNY with Dr. Graber in 2007.  Thanxs for the update cause i have gone back to the diet coke and some sugar.  I am going to cut that and hope that i start to loose again.  THANXS

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/12 5:47 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Joyce that is awesome. I so enjoyed reading your story. I am glad we are friend on fitness pal it is so helpful to see how others are doing. Big Hugs

Most Active
Recent Topics