Coming up FAST!

Gma
on 6/5/13 1:21 am

My surgery date is June 11th and it's coming up fast.  Have been on Optifast for 2-1/2 weeks now.  Any advice on what to take?  I was thinking of bringing my I-pad.  Would that be a good thing or am taking a risk of it disappearing?  What about bringing my own pillow?  Is that OK?  I'll be going to St. Joseph's in Toronto.

kristaeb
on 6/5/13 2:18 am

Hi, i would take ear plugs if you dont have a private room. They say also take chap stick. I have heard some take their own pillow . i  am taking slippers, light house coat , book.. You should some more posts im sure to help out.. Good luck .. Krista...

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Gma
on 6/5/13 2:47 am

Good point re the ear plugs.  I always use them at home.  I've got semi-private coverage and hope they'll have a room.  :)  Thanks for the help! 

Patm
on 6/5/13 2:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Pillow is also good for the ride home, pressed against your stomach for bumps. I found it really dry so the chap stick. You may find a book hard to concentrate on between the drugs and being tired. Magazines might be better. You need to walk while you are there so housecoat and slippers for sure. I did not use my own night gown because I had some blood leakage which I would rather have on their gowns. A towel. I was allowed to have a shower my last day. Others from St Joes can tell you if they did. I was at TWH

Good luck next week

Gma
on 6/5/13 2:44 am

Thanks Pam.  I'm hoping the time in the hospital goes fast.  I've never had any surgery so this is a huge step. 

Catw
on 6/5/13 2:40 am - Arnprior, Canada

Bring slippers or crocs, it'll be better for when you walk.  Use their gowns, maybe take a light house coat, if not you can ask for a second gown to cover the back.  If you take any electronics like a phone, etc, take the charger.  The clothes you wear there can be worn home (who would notice). Wear comfy loose clothing, you won't want anything tight after surgery.  Some Nuts tell you to take your vits with you, they'll check them and let you know if anything needs to be changed.  Not al Nuts will do that though.

If you want, take your toothbrush and toothpaste.  If you take a towel, take a plastic bag to put it in if it's wet.  If you take a tooth brush, use either a plastic holder to bring it home, or bring a sandwich bag to put it  in if it's wet.

May you have a smooth surgery and quick recovery.

Cathy

Gma
on 6/5/13 2:54 am

Thanks for the suggestions.  Having not been in the hospital since I had my children over 30 years ago, I'm wasn't sure what's even allowed.   Thanks also for the well wishes.  I'll be happy when I wake up at the other end!

Needanewbeginning
on 6/5/13 3:47 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

At HRRH I didn't use my housecoat, used theirs, used my sandals I went there in to walk around. Chapstick for sure, pillow, omg yes bring one theirs are terrible and the ride home its a must have. I brought my ipad, many people do. I had downloaded movies to watch.

They should have towels and face cloths to use. Earplugs, oh yes good idea. I found it not only disturbing when they came in my room to check my roommate but the nurses tended to have their little *****fests in the hall near my room every night. 

Good luck and see you on the bench enlightened

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

LittleMiss2013
on 6/5/13 6:34 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Lol I bookmarked this just incase I ever get to surgery. I have wondered (or thought about) what I would bring as well. Can you believe it never occurred to me to bring earphones OR the charger for my ipad!! Good thread =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics