rny vrs sleeve...thoughts?

mispysmom
on 6/18/13 3:53 am - elliot lake, Canada
I live in northern ontario, and.had a video.conference with my surgeon yesterday, i was surprised to.find out i may not be getting the rny surgery as previously advised, dr. lindsey advised tht he would.decide when we meet in.person the month prior to my surgery, all my research was focused on rny as my.doc here at.home.said tht was wht i.would be getting...i feel unprepared now...any thoughts on this?

Amanda

Brats1979
on 6/18/13 4:04 am
I suggest start researching VSG. I spend much of my time reading up on the VSG because I have intestinal issues and although my doctor hasn't told me that I will have to go that route I want to be prepared just in case. It is also a great tool for weight loss.
Anastasia_Marie
on 6/18/13 4:29 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

I am pre - op but know people who have had both and you can be equally successful with either - I have researched both a great deal and I am prepared and ready for either when they decide

Referral December 3/12 ~ Orientation April 24/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner May 27/13 ~ Nutritionist May 31/13 ~ Social Worker June 3/13 ~ Sleep Study June 24/13 ~ Ultrasound June 27/13 ~ Sleep Study Results August 20/13 ~Nurse Prac. Appointment September 10/13 ~ Surgeon Appt. Dr. Glazier & Dr. Hagen October 16/13 ~ Pre-Surgical Class October 23/13 ~ PATTS November 7/13 ~ Surgery November 20/13

mispysmom
on 6/18/13 4:35 am - elliot lake, Canada
Im going.to.as much research as possible. my husband was surprised tht i would be disappointed..he said 'babe...why.r u upset, you now no your.getting the surgery forsure!' men, hate when they r right lol...i wasnt disappointed just surprised, i was also surprised as my bmi.went up...but he said tht is.cuz i.quit smoking lol

Amanda

chipmunk_roasting
on 6/18/13 5:35 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Now, that guy is a *keeper*.   And huge congratulations on having quit smoking.  :)

Marilyn

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

mispysmom
on 6/18/13 6:43 pm - elliot lake, Canada
Totally a keeper

Amanda

nata
on 6/19/13 9:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Yep, do you research.

here are some keywords for your "google job" - pyloric valve, malabsorption, intrinsic factor, vitamin B12 defficiency, reactive hypoglycemia. If you are having RnY - you MUST research all of those and be informed. If you are having sleeve - this info will give some "psychological help" to stop being upset when you win a lottery.

Just to clarify - personally, I've got the third option (DS) almost 5 years ago, and have to closely monitor these issues malabsorption, intrinsic factor, vitamin B12 defficiency. With RnY you are up to the "whole spectrum", while none of these very serious problems apply to VSG. Think about it.

Nanato2
on 6/18/13 8:09 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes it is a shock when you research one surgery and find out that you actually need another one. I had a VSG for medical reasons and love it I am 4 months out and have lost 87 pounds. I stick exactly to the plan and have been successful so far. 

There are a few of us on this board that have had a VSG but I would also go to the VSG forum there is mostly people from the USA but a lot of your question can be answered.

Also if you are on facebook there is a group called Sassy Sleevers and they are great resource as well.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics