First post - Approved for surgery/ questions

Brittany_31113
on 3/11/14 3:34 am

Hey all :)

I got the call from my surgeons office today... I've been approved for surgery and i have an appointment with Dr. Sohi on march 19 :) 

I was super excited when they called, but as soon as i hung up, i broke down into uncontrollable sobs (Happy and nervous tears)! I have so many thoughts and emotions running through me right now! Dont get me wrong im super excited to begin this new journey of life, yet also so so scared!

Its the What if's that are getting to me! I know deep down that this is my last option. Everything else has failed.  i think that's my biggest fear, i have failed at countless diets, maybe ill fail at this too. But then i get thinking about it and i know that i have never wanted anything more than i want this. Its like im stuck doing this weird cycle of "im going to miss my old life" and being scared of change VS looking forward to a new life and being healthy.

Did anyone else experience this happy/sad, scared/excited yoyo before surgery?

how Did you know you where making the right choice to have surgery?

was there/ did there ever come a point where you weren't nervous to have the surgery?  I guess have this fear that nervousness is a sign of weakness/ not being ready.

Thanks for letting me vent! 

Hope everyone has a great week!

Brittany

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/14 4:07 am

Im so happy for you to have your appointment. You know this is right when you have done everything to loose weight and your health is being effected by the  extra weight.

Yes I was like you excited, nervous and scared all in one. But it is one of the best decisions I have made.

Keep smiling, go with your heart that if this is what you want the go for it!!! All you have to loose is weight!!!!

sellarsgal
on 3/11/14 4:32 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there, this is a very exciting time for you! The beginning of a new life, yes it's scary but just think of the positive changes after surgery. This whole journey is so emotional, and I think for me it's because finally the answer to my prayers of a lifetime! Good luck with everything, try not to think about it too much (ya right! lol) 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Catw
on 3/11/14 5:08 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Brittany,

What you are going through is normal.  You are embarking on a journey that will change your life (for the better).  But all change can be scary as you are entering into a world of the unknown.  That unknown is individual to each of us.  You will do fine but will have ups and downs along the way.  One thing you'll need for the next while is patience.  There is a lot of hurry up and wait ahead.

For me I had to decide, do I want to keep the way I was going and keep having the scale go up and up and up, or did I want to do something about it.  So I went for surgery.  It was a long process, and I did include my 2 young children as one has anxiety and I wanted him to be prepared for me to be away for a couple days.  He was fine, he was just wondering why I hadn't gotten smaller while I was at the hospital.  They both were very good with every thing.  I had my surgery in June, in October I went skating with them, and I outlasted them (not sure they liked that).  This year I helped out my youngest's hockey team once in a while.  Couldn't have done that before surgery.

You'll do fine, you'll see.

Cathy

KristieA
on 3/11/14 5:38 am - Orillia, Canada

Wow congrats!

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

shoshanaApr2013
on 3/11/14 10:16 am
I had Dr Sohi too and he did a great job.

Like you, I was also very nervous and had many moments of uncertainty... right up to one week POST surgery. I'm now six weeks out and don't regret a thing.

No matter what you do your life is going to change. Every day is the death of your "old life" and the beginning of a new one. Every day brings a new list of "what ifs?" (...what if I get hit by a bus today? ...what if I win the lottery?). You never know what tomorrow will bring. You can, however, give yourself the best tools possible to try and make your future the future of YOUR choice.

This surgery is for people who have "failed" at every other diet... and look at all the success stories!!!

I think it's a good sign that you're apprehensive about the surgery... it shows that you're an intelligent person who is aware of what it entails, is aware that you need dramatic help with your weight loss efforts, and are taking the process seriously.

Only you can make the decision to do this though. I wish you the best and hope you keep us updated!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Mary A.
on 3/17/14 4:46 am

It's what they call "buyers remorse", now that you are in the thick of it it has become real....can you turn back...yes you can...should you turn back...NOT ..if you have taken a reasonable amount of time to consider the process and realilze that this is an operation that will ASSIST you, it will NOT stop you from regaining any weight you have lost.

It's all about changing your eating habits, your life and your lifestyle.  A surgeon can give you the tool..what you do with it is up to you!!!  At the age of 45 I knew that I didn't want to be 323lbs in 10, 15_ years from then...I am now 5 years post-op and have maintained a weight loss of 114lbs and it's STILL a struggle, every day and there are days I do give into the extra handful of chips or another piece of chocolate but I keep it in check and remind myself what size 26 looked like...actually the pic is hangin in my bathroom even now...I see it everyday and it's a motivator, to do better.

All the best..there will be peaks and valleys along the way..if you are true to the program despite those challenges and have a GOOD support system..you will succeed.

All the best

while you wait for your surgery, make some small changes in your diet/habits etc...and then get on that train and start the ride of a new phase~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics