Verticle Sleeve Surgery

Carchick28
on 1/15/15 11:04 pm - Canada

Wonder if anyone here may have some answers to this question.  I understand that one of the reasons for having VSG over bypass is if you are anemic.  I know there are other reasons but my question relates to being anemic.  My question is how anemic meaning, just a little bit or is there some kind of threshold that the doctors use to make the decision.  Also, how much are you as the patient involved in making the decision as to what type of surgery.  I am anemic and my doctor has not really been able to pin point the reason for it.  Any input would be appreciated.

Hollynik
on 1/16/15 5:34 am - Canada

I'm not sure if this is helpful to you but I have been anemic for over 10 years that the hematologist was unable to determine the cause.  For me it is what it is.  I was able to have RNY and on the second day they said I might need a transfusion but my numbers went from 77 to 84 overnight so they let me go home and had me checked with my family doctor a few days later, at that point my number was 93 so still way below what they consider to be normal for a women.  The fact that I was anemic never seemed to be something that was in question regarding the surgery.  I take feramax daily now and before surgery and a month after I took fer n sol daily.

Poplap
on 1/17/15 1:42 am

I am not anemic but my stores are low and I do not tolerate iron supplements well. It never bothered me sine I would eat a plate of liver when I get anemic. I was recommend and approved for VGS. But the process took 2 years to surgery. 

Orientation: April 19, 2013, RN: July 3, Dietitian & Behaviorist: Aug 27, 2013, Surgery: Feb 6, 2015. HW 309, Pre-Opti 268, SW 258, CW 240. M1 16

Most Active
Recent Topics