Optifast - Starving and limits

TaraB3660
on 7/10/15 2:20 pm

Hello everyone. OK this is as much a rant but more of a vent. I started Optifast on Wednesday. And all of the two years of waiting for the surgery nothing has prepared me for this. It taste like crap. The density of it makes me gag. I've tried adding in my I started Optifast on Wednesday. And all of the two years of waiting for the surgery nothing has prepared me for this. It taste like crap. The density of it makes me gag. I've tried adding stuff I tried cold I tried it hot, I have tried it with ice. ice seems to be the only way I'm going to get it down. The part I am finding the hardest is my hunger I'm actually hungry. I wake up with stomach pains from being so hungry this is completely new to me. I can't remember Even in my life waking up like this. Don't get me wrong I'm 150% grateful for this opportunity it's a new beginning and I'm going to make the most of it, but there's a couple things I can't seem to bypass on. Number one they Becel. If  all I can have to eat is vegetables and green ones that there's got to be a little bit to give here. I bought a Becel light, and I  am only using like half a teaspoon to put on my cooked vegetables, once a day, it's the only way they're going to get down. Number two. Again it's all about the vegetables. salad without salad dressing is nothing. I tried lemon I tried the vinegar,  this is not going to happen, the gagging started. So I bought fat-free Italian dressing it's only got 1 g of carbs and like I think five  calories. So of limited myself to like 3 tablespoons on a big plate of salad and one today. So my question to all you benchers, did anybody cave or make to tiniest little changes when they were on Optifast? Is it totally wrong of me to do this I'm trying to be realistic I have to be on the stuff for three weeks I'm trying to be very mindful at the same time. Did anybody cave or make to tiniest little changes when they were on Optifast? Is it totally wrong of me to do this I'm trying to be realistic I have to be on the stuff for three weeks I'm trying to be very mindful at the same time 

highlandbear
on 7/10/15 3:45 pm - Canada

I was on Optifast for 3 weeks also and could not eat any vegies.  We could have broth and sugar free jello and I do not care for jello or broth so I only had the Optifast. No I did not cheat because I knew that this was the start of a new life for me. I am 5 and 1/2 years out and I can tell you that doing the Optifast was the easy part. The longer you are out the harder it seems to be. I am glad that I did not cheat than because I learned than that I can live without certain foods. I did not cheat after the surgery either. I am totally glad that I stayed strong and said goodbye to junk food and deep fried food. You can do it if you really want to. You just need to stay strong and realize why you are doing this.  Ask yourself this If I cheat now than what will keep me from cheating after the surgery

B-Trix123
on 7/10/15 3:56 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have done the Optifast diet itself 2x (16 weeks & 12 weeks). I only had chocolate and loaded up the blender with lots of ice - each drink filled a pint beer glass. Think you must be on a different program then the one set by TWH -- pre-op Optifast is just Optifast, no veg or salad. First 3 days are hard -- after that, you will hopefully adjust. Listen to the medical professionals if you truly want to be ready when your surgery day arrives. Not the time to negotiate or compromise IMO. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Herecomeshealth
on 7/10/15 4:26 pm

I did optifast for 8 weeks less three days. Can't say I enjoyed, more I survived it. I went throughTWH so broth and jello was the only option. After a few days the hunger passed and I did not bother with anything other than the opti. I did chew a lot of gum as that helped get the taste out of my mouth. For me I did "cheat" when I had 2 weeks added on due to cancelled surg. I got back on track after a day. Basically I thought that I was moving towards living life differently and the opti was the first step so I needed to stick with it. I am proud that I did and I think that helped with the next steps. I am not quite 5 months out and really the opti is barely a memory. I will tell that is was absolutely worth it. This is the best I have felt in a long time and opti was the first step. You only have to drink them one shake at a time. You can do it!

all the best

roxytrim
on 7/10/15 4:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

To give you the short answer YES it is totally wrong of you to do this.  You are not going to make it if you can't handle the Optifast. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/15 4:26 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I am dreading Optifast. I start on Monday. I think you have to be true to yourself and treat this as part of the learning curve. To me, my surgery starts on Monday and doesn't end. You are lucky because most clinics don't let you have vegetables at all. There are ways to make it taste okay but you can't give in. There are reasons for us having to be on Opti. 

northernga1
on 7/10/15 6:11 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada
On July 10, 2015 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, Mellybelly007 wrote:

I am dreading Optifast. I start on Monday. I think you have to be true to yourself and treat this as part of the learning curve. To me, my surgery starts on Monday and doesn't end. You are lucky because most clinics don't let you have vegetables at all. There are ways to make it taste okay but you can't give in. There are reasons for us having to be on Opti. 

dont dread it, i worked myself up so much dreading optifast because of everyones posts.  I woke up the morning of my day 1 opti and tried the vanilla plain and it was okay, wasnt the greatest but couldnt understand why everyone was raving so much about how terrible they were.  Go in with an open mind and remember that this is the beginning of your new life and take it 1 shake at a time it will get easier after a few days

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Zizzler
on 7/10/15 5:39 pm

Follow the plan your centre gave you, there is a reason they are strict about things. No, it not correct to cheat on your pre-op diet but you can't change the past.  Just start fresh with your next shake and decide to follow the plan 100% from now on.  You will feel proud of yourself if you do, trust me.  We were not allowed any vegetables at all and I was pretty bitter about that let me tell you.  Definitely the ice is the way to go to mask the taste, but also stuff like added some baking cocoa or decaf coffee crystals and other flavourings will help.  I used a magic bullet, that thing was a lifesaver.  I know it is not easy but you can do this.  One thing I have learned is that if you fall off you have to get back on that horse. treat this as practice for post-op.  If you are looking for ideas check out the "surviving optifast" posting in recipes.

Kate M.
on 7/10/15 6:00 pm - toronto, Canada

I was told the reason that Toronto Western patients aren't allowed veggies is for this very reason - people seem unable to follow the "plain" rule. If you can't do it, try cooking them in chicken broth, but don't add margarine or salad dressing. You are being tested to see if you can make it through the lifelong changes. If you can't hack it now, you probably won't be able to do it later. No one enjoys Opti, but you're also about to enter a period of months where you don't enjoy anything you eat at all. It is hard. Opti is just the first step. If the temptation is too great, don't eat the veggies at all.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

Zizzler
on 7/11/15 1:38 am

Not sure if I am just a freak or something but I enjoyed pretty much everything I have eaten since having surgery.  In fact, after 3 weeks of opti and surgery all food tasted amazing to me, more than ever.  I just could only physically eat really tiny amounts for the first months.  Now it is even more challenging as I can eat larger quantities, so yes it does get even more challenging I would say.  Stick to the plan, it will only help you in the long run.

Most Active
Recent Topics