Here we go!

Tara Sauders
on 10/21/15 6:40 am - Canada

Day one of Optifast. Surgery in two weeks on Nov 4th. I mixed the vanilla shake with 6 ice cubes and 300ml of water and blended it in my NutriNinja. It wasn't too bad but I was expecting the texture to be thicker with the ice. I'll have to play around with the quantities a bit. I've got tons of different flavoured syrups, extracts and water enhancers on hand to mix it up a bit over the next 14 days. Thanks to everyone who posted on here in the past for the great ideas! It's going to be fun trying out all of the new flavours. I found a Nesfruta Coconut Pineapple at Walmart yesterday that I am particularly looking forward to mixing with the vanilla- hello Pina Colada!

I'm a bag of mixed emotions right now but mostly feeling confident this morning. I have been wanting and needing this for a long time but now that it's finally here I have been battling self-doubt and nervous anxiety over the last few days as I had food funerals with all of my favourite restaurants. I'm excited that it's finally here and I know that I am ready but in the back of my mind is that little voice asking if I really want to go through with rearranging my insides like this, if I will be able to handle this change for the rest of my life and it's still worrying about how other people are going to judge me for my decision. I know I've prepared myself well over the last 14 months to handle this but that stupid little voice is going to be there nagging me for the next two weeks until it's done and there's no turning back. I'm glad I have such a great support system in place at home and all of you here to help me get through this. I know you guys understand what I am going through and that helps more than you will ever know! Thank you!

HW=268.6; Opti day 1=268.6; SW=254.6; Referral Aug 2014; Orientation at HRRH Feb 13, 2015; Meet Dr.Klein July 23; Dr.Glazer Aug 6; SW & RD Sept 3rd; RN Oct 23rd; 2nd Dr.Klein Sept 16; PATT call Oct 8th; Start Opti Oct 21; PATT appt Oct 23rd; RNY 12:00pm Nov 4, 2015

Patm
on 10/21/15 7:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good luck on the opti. Remember it is just 14 days. Everyone gets nerves just before. You will do fine just stick to program.

MonaLisaSmile
on 10/21/15 9:22 am - Canada

Yup!! We DO know what you are going through!!!!

Asked myself the same questions a million times. Now three months later Im feeling, and looking GREAT. I still get paranoid at times that I will develop a complication or something, but I knew my odds were just as high developing something horrible living at my old weight.

Don't be annoyed with that "stupid little voice nagging you" as you said. In fact....love and embrace it!!!! It will be the same "nagging little voice" that LATER will be saying "don't eat that!", "you can do it", "drink more water", "get your ass to the gym", "did you take you pills?", "PROTEIN FIRST !", "did you pack a snack?" ....LOL Oh yeah......trust me, it never shuts up!! But...It sure is a great friend to have !!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Meggles07
on 10/21/15 12:14 pm - Canada

For trying different flavours I would recommend mixing up small glasses -- make plain opti first and then divide it up. I found a few flavour combos that would have been hard to drink if I made a whole batch :)

I really liked the red raspberry Torani syrup in the vanilla. I just added a little extra water to kill the sweetness a bit.

Meg

B-Trix123
on 10/21/15 2:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have an image in my mind of a mouth covered with duct tape to shut the "little voice" up! What you are feeling -- many of us have felt. You are in good company.

Those who will judge you for your decision need a little education. Long term success rate for diets is 5%, long term success rate for gastric bypass is 70%. People who are not in our situation don't know this (and why would they), so share those stats with those who need to be enlightened. If they still don't get it -- they are judging on opinion and not fact.

I was going to spend the time before surgery deep in thought about the challenge ahead. Calm environment by the lake, spoil myself with soothing music, lotions and potions, all Zen etc. Life got in the way of that (sick dog, car broke down 2x, neighbour running a chainsaw). In the end, I found that keeping myself busy prepping food, vitamins for post op plus keeping my normal work and social engagements right up until surgery was best. My intellectual brain knew this was the best thing and maintaining the status quo was a death sentence.

My advice - when that "stupid little voice" starts to natter, avoid the duct tape mentioned above, pick up your information package and review -- take a look at some of the recipes you can use in the future. Need new kitchen & bath scales... now's the time for a little shopping. Drown that little voice out with things that will push you in a positive direction. If you still have concerns, talk to the pros on your team. In the end, it is your choice and whatever you decide, I wish you peace of mind.

Most Active
Recent Topics