I need to stop reading horror stories...

Jennellybean
on 10/25/15 6:58 pm - Canada

Hi all!

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! I'm still pre-op and am continuing to play the waiting game. I've had my social work appointment, nurse practitioner, and nutrition class... all I need now are my dietitian appointment (Dec 10) and psychologist (Nov 11) and then I'll go to rounds! Yay! I'm so super excited to get this show on the road... but I also seem to be ending up on SO many websites that tell horror stories about wls patients.

I've read some scary stories! Most of them titled "What the Doctors Don't Tell You!" or, "What REALLY Happens After Weight Loss Surgery!" They all recount awful experiences where people have had surgery and then all of their teeth fall out from crazy deficiencies. I read another story of a woman who developed such a dreadful iron deficiency that she underwent a procedure that boiled her uterine lining so that she stopped bleeding every month.

I know that these are pretty worst case scenarios and that there has got to be a reason that these things have happened to these people. Perhaps they weren't taking their vitamins or weren't being monitored by their surgeons/doctors... who knows!

I'm not second guessing having the surgery, I just am looking for some happy stories! I'm looking to hear from people who have been successful and have all of their teeth!

Please? :)

-Jenn

Herecomeshealth
on 10/26/15 2:52 am

I have had no issues. I have not dumped, no throwing up, no hair loss and my teeth remain intact. I am 8 months out and have lost 170 lbs. I had no pain with the surgery. I have had no issues with food. The people in my life have been supportive. I get nothing but compliments. I can not really think of anything bad to say. I think I am in the majority, just people tend to reach out when they need support so that is what you tend to see. It gives a bit of a skewed view.

hope this helps.

elliecat
on 10/26/15 3:15 am - Canada

Hi ,6 weeks post op, feel great, tolerating everything that's on plan. Took regular tylenol for pain for a day and a half post op. Stop reading!!! You will do great,

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/15 5:54 am

This isn't necesarily a happy story, but I have a friend who had WLS with multiple complications. We were discussing it the other day and I asked if knowing what he knew now he would do it again and he without hesitation said yes. Despite any weird infection and side effects he had (no losing teeth..) his quality of life improved so much post surgery that it didn't matter. So pay attention to that part, all the amazing things that can happen after surgery! I'm most looking forward to travelling comfortably (can't wait for the NSV of not needing a seat belt extender)!

annieliv
on 10/26/15 6:12 am, edited 10/25/15 11:12 pm - Toronto, Canada

It is important to do complete research, and not just read about positive outcomes.

The very best info I received was from the TWH program and fellow WLS patients at support group.

Other people's horror stories don't tell the whole story but they are important to know so that you learn what NOT to do.

Follow your program's guidelines.

Listen to your body/intuition and take care of yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in this journey.

Take care,

Annie

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Patm
on 10/26/15 6:44 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was older having this surgery and yet I have had no adverse effects from it. At nearly four years out I know it has lengthened my live. People do have iron problems even with following program but I bet none of them would not have had the surgery.

The most important thing you can do for yourself is make sure you know your program and follow it. A lot of research went into it and they are always improving it.

The people who have issues are often although not always people do did not take their vitamins or thought they new better than the professionals. Taking vitamins is not optional. The big three, protein, vitamins and water.

Good luck

Seyenna
on 10/26/15 9:28 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

My RN told me that losing your teeth is common for those that do not take the calcium. Part of your regime will be to take calcium and vitamin D 3x a day. It's a bit of a pain to carry around the little pill case, but I don't regret a single second of my surgery. Very few things have gone wrong and I'm down 170 lbs. I can walk across the mall where I work without any discomfort. I can sleep better (though I need more pillows now.. I'm not used to bony hips lol!), and I love how I look in new clothes now. :)

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Delicious_Delilah
on 10/26/15 9:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

Keep in mind where the people are located who have these stories. We have a very good program in Ontario with a pre-screening and education process, and a long five year follow-up period. This helps people stay on their plans, understand the importance of protein, hydration, and vitamins, and gives them tools and resources for support.

I'm not saying that it's perfect and that people don't end up with complications in Ontario, but I'm guessing that a lot of horror stories are because of lack of follow-up or proper understanding of how to live a post-surgery life. Of course, not all complications are that simple.

For my part, I am more than three years post-op. I have all my teeth! Last year, I did have one complication which was an internal hernia that needed emergency surgery. It could have been deadly, but luckily, I didn't dilly-dally and went straight to the hospital that did my weight-loss surgery. They knew exactly what was causing the pain, and I was fixed up within less than 24 hours. You need to listen to your body, and know that when there's something really wrong. Don't wait...head to the ER right away. I have heard from the surgeon who did the repair (he also did my gastric by-pass) that the internal hernias were a known complication from not cauterizing/sealing the internal cuts when they did the original gastric by-pass. They have now, apparently, amended the gastric by-pass surgery as this is now a known complication.

They are continually learning and improving.

That being said, do educate yourself. This surgery is not without risks. In my opinion, the rewards far, far, far outweigh the risks! I wouldn't change a thing!

Good luck!

DD

kellybelly333
on 10/26/15 12:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

Learning how to be a self-advocate is priority. Learning the risks versus the benefits is what you need to research.

For me, my doctor told me I wouldn't make it to 50 (I was 37 at the time). I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, depression and migraines. My children were 5 & 8 and I decided that the surgery would save me from dying and leaving my children without a mother.

I had my surgery almost 5 years ago. I have had complications. I had my gall bladder removed, a bowel obstruction (emergency surgery), issues with my skin removal surgery that had to have two more fixes, severe anemia, and if I qualified to have my uterine lining burned, I would have done that, but I had an IUD put in a year ago and 18 iron infusions (oral heme iron alone wasn't enough for me) later I am at a normal level (first time in four years). I have also developed osteopenia (and bordering osteoperosis) in my spine. I've upped my calcium and things remain the same for now.

Sounds pretty awful right? Here are things I HAVE accomplished since losing and maintaining 105 pounds (i'm 5 foot 1).

3 half marathons
3 full marathons
2 half ironman
and this year my first full ironman (4k swim, 180km bike ride, 42.2km run).
I also parasailed, taught a spin class, won a spin competition, climbed a mountain, wake boarding, roller blading, hot yoga, ariel yoga. The list goes on, because I LOVE doing what I could never do before. I was obese since my teen years and morbidly obese since the birth of my daughter. I lived for my kids, but wasn't well enough to know for sure that I would always be there for them.

I have all my teeth and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Cheryl Denomy
on 10/26/15 12:20 pm - Oshawa, Canada

When you have this surgery, seems like everybody's got a story, and none of them are good.

I'm more than 15 years out, and I can still remember all the horror stories people told me. Like when I was pregnant and there was always somebody willing to tell me about how they were in labour for three weeks with no epidural and finally the doctor had to deliver the baby with a pair of forceps the size of Detroit -- after, of course, giving them an episiotomy that started at their nasal cavity. The kid was in high school before they could sit without screaming.

Yeah okay.

Yes, there are complications that can arise from this surgery, some of them more serious than others. Yes, there have been people who have died as a result of those complications. I would venture, however, to say that those who have died had many -- and likely complex -- health issues long before they had the surgery. When I had mine I was told that the risk of death was about 1-2%, and my surgeon had never had anyone die.

I had a relatively easy time of both the surgery and the recovery period, so perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. I lost some hair -- but I had lots to start with, so it's not like anyone but the shower drain and my overloaded hairbrush ever noticed. My teeth didn't loosen, but you'd have to be highly deficient in calcium and vitamin C and God knows whatall for that to happen. This surgery can cause some malabsorption of certain vitamins, but as far as I know it doesn't give you scurvy.

My periods actually became regular for once, so that was a bonus I could have done without.

It is normal to be apprehensive before surgery and when contemplating a major life change like this. The trick is to listen to your surgeon and his team and not to everyone who wants to share their story with you -- and stop reading stuff that scares you!!! If you want to read scary stuff, pick up a Stephen King novel and stay away from "health experts" (some of whom will be masquerading as members of your own family).

You know in your heart you made the right choice to pursue this surgery -- know it in your head, as well.

Best of luck on your journey!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics