Ottawa WMC..... I should have just lied

Chickenboob
on 11/2/15 1:31 pm - Rockland, Canada

I almost got into a shouting match with the nutritionist at today's appointment. She could not accept that her advice to me wasn't working. When I refused to up my carbohydrate intake, things got a little nasty.

She said I should be happy at 255 and that I fit their guidelines. My question was who was she to say when I am finished losing weight? It's MY journey, not hers.

Turns out 2 years ago she gave me nutritional advice intending me to maintain. WTF? I specifically said I wanted to continue to lose. Ridiculous and I am putting in a complaint for her contributing to my current predicament and wasting two years of my life!

I was also accused of being to focused on the number on the scale and not my health. even though I clearly said that I felt better at 194 and could do more things and was happier.

She treated me like I was an idiot and knew nothing about my own body.

I AM SO PISSED OFF

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Drvn2skcede
on 11/3/15 5:50 am

I can't believe the experience you've had! In my opinion it is YOUR journey, as you said. It's unbelievable that she put a woman into maintenance mode who still wishes to lose weight and isn't even under 200lbs (which is 'overweight' even for most men). I can understand if she was concerned about extreme weight loss, anorexia, extreme malnourishment etc., but by the posts you've put up in the past, none of these are the case and your diet is extremely healthy, even with the lower carb options.

You know my experience as well, and I wish I would have lied too. I didn't feel like they were in touch with reality and I didn't feel like their education was up to par (I think they need to get more specific bariatric training and more training specific to obesity-related eating/behaviour issues, not just the generic diet and exercise training that they seem to have like all RDs have). I agree that you should file a complaint, I think you are justified.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Most Active
Recent Topics