Optifast Question

Jennellybean
on 12/12/15 1:07 pm - Canada

Hi everyone! 

I don't start optifast until January 12th, but I'm wondering how you all dealt with optifast at work? When I tasted the optifast during my nutrition class, I thought it tasted absolutely AWFUL! I've purchased a bunch of SF syrups and have been researching about how to mask it's horrific flavour. One way to make it more palatable, so I've read, is to make it into a smoothie with ice, rather than just mixing water.

At work, did you just bite the bullet and make it with water? Was it gross? What are your experiences?  

Thanks in advance! 

-Jenn

Referral: April 28 2015 Orientation: July 29 2015 Social Worker: September 1 2015 Nurse Practitioner: September 16 2015 Nutrition Class: October 20 2015 Psychologist November 11 2015 Dietitian November 17 2015 Meet the Surgeon December 11 2015 Surgery January 26 2016

tlj1974
on 12/12/15 2:18 pm

My work has a small magic bullet in the kitchen.  Without going to too much expense is this a possibility for you to have at your work?

Big_blue_eyes
on 12/12/15 2:33 pm - Canada

I bought a shaker bottle and filled it with ice and some SF syrup if I wasn't going to be home at lunch. I also carried a bottle of water. When it was time for lunch I just dumped the optifast in the bottle, added some water and shook it up. I also carried straws in my purse and used them to drink it. Hope this helps.

Alligator
on 12/12/15 3:38 pm

You're not supposed to mix it ahead, unfortunately.  I've been taking my magic bullet to work.  I need it to be frothy to make it easier to drink.  I add a teaspoon on vanilla flavoured instant coffee and a tsp. Of benefibre.  This has worked for me, and I like it better than the sf syrups.

Alligator

Jennellybean
on 12/12/15 4:36 pm - Canada

I work at a school and so, of course, we have a staff room. I'm thinking maybe I can keep ice in the freezer there and a single serve blender. I kind of wanted to be incognito, but oh well! I'll get a lot of questions, that's for sure. 

Referral: April 28 2015 Orientation: July 29 2015 Social Worker: September 1 2015 Nurse Practitioner: September 16 2015 Nutrition Class: October 20 2015 Psychologist November 11 2015 Dietitian November 17 2015 Meet the Surgeon December 11 2015 Surgery January 26 2016

Mas
on 12/12/15 7:49 pm

i worried about that too - how to handle work   i bought good shaker bottles and mixed opti with decaf coffee, water and ice    i scheduled it four hrs apart with my first shake at six am   then at work i had one at ten and two in the privacy of my office.  i always had a little broth and sf jello at lunch si could maintain a routine with my colleagues over noon hour.

key is to be well organized.  good luck  you wont believe how fast the time goes    i am 4 days post op and doing well

Meggles07
on 12/13/15 7:07 am - Canada

I didn't mind the taste of the chocolate, but I found the vanilla had a strong taste and smell. I used a shaker bottle with a lid which seemed to cover the smell a bit. I also mixed the vanilla with red raspberry syrup. I used extra water as well to cut the sweetness and help with my fluid in-take.

aa170
on 12/13/15 9:06 pm

I had a magic bullet at home. Each morning, I would make two shakes (my recipe was some ice, a tea spoon of decaf instant coffee, about 1/4 cup of non-fat milk and 1/4 of a small banana...and the chocolate OptiFast shake powder). I would drink one shake on my way to work, and the second shake went in the fridge at work and I had it around 11 am each day. The shake usually tasted good if I drank it within 3-4 hours of making it (given the fact that it had lots of ice in it, and kept in fridge).

And I hear you, the taste was horrible... the only way I could cover that taste was the coffee and banana flavour that I added to it (and I know I was technically cheating, but that's the only way I found that stuff drinkable lol). 

Best of luck

Catw
on 12/14/15 5:56 am - Arnprior, Canada

I scheduled my Opti throughout the day.  Drank one on the way to work, cleaned the shaker and filled it with water.  Then put it in the fridge until it was time to make the next one, did the same for shake #3. Made the water cold enough for the shakes.

Cathy

Yanzee77
on 12/14/15 7:00 am - Canada
VSG on 12/16/15

I'm on my 13th Day of Optifast and I actually think I'm going to miss them:) I first started the Optifast Shakes on a night shift at the hospital.I brought my single serve blender with me and I found it did a good job. However , it's not until I started using the SF syrups, ice and occasional cinnamon, that the drinks went from tolerable to fantastic. I do some mixing with the flavors, to give a unique taste each time. Hope this helps.

AGE:39/HEIGHT:5ft 8in /HW:290 /SW:266.2 / VSG DONE:16th/DEC/2015  -------CW:158lbs PO: M1-23.1lbs  M2-12.2lbs  M3-10.9lbs M4: -14.4lbs M5:-12.4lbs M6:-7.2lbs M7:-6.2lbs M8:-6.6lbsM9:-7.6lbs (Goal reached 9mths PO -16/09/2016) M10:-5.0 M11:+1.8lbs M12:-3.8lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics