Back to work 2 weeks ago new experiences

Canadajet
on 1/15/16 2:48 am

my first day back to work post surgery was on Jan 4.  My first day was good, had all my vits  , water and protein.  No one is aware of my surgery and I had lots of stares.  I found it interesting the comments one receives which I would say is not malicious but ill intended such as : "you look tired" ; " do you have cancer"; your face looks drawn; should you be at work; and the kicker from the work troll. Wow you look exhausted and you have aged while bein off.  Classic b$$ch, but she is a moron and don't pay her any attention.  A colleague overheard her comment, went to the boss and missy Poopoo apologized  that is more satisfactory than me responding to her especially we have our performance appraisals next month.

the food demons were strong though.  Pies, cookies, donuts, candy, chocolate, cakes, etc. Are plenty in the kitchen at work.  At home I do not eat these or desire them but at work I found myself wanting to reach for that Lindt chocolate.  I can't avoid the kitchen as I need the microwave.  Now when I go in, I say over and over to myself, get your lunch you do not need the carbs or junk food.  I do not look at the table which has the goodies.  I do not eat in the kitchen.  My work arranges meetings with food as being front and centre.  First day was going to a restaurant to celebrate the new year.  I declined. I checked out the menu and most items were not on my food list.  Today is a pizza lunch.  I declined.  We have meetings every week and someone is responsible to bring the treat.  I try to position myself farthest away from the food.  One time someone brought veggies and that was not received well.  They want their sugar.  Really opened my eyes to how work was sabatoging my ability to lose weight and develop strategies to deal with this new challenge.

i have found that I have no stamina to last beyond 8 pm and fall asleep and wake up at 5 rested.

i started Jan 4 actively working out and my first time doing ab ripper x (p90x) with my hubby...well I managed two reps (I think there are 10 different ab exercises). Lol  2 weeks and I can do 10'reps of each exercise.  Increasing my cardio each week which is great.  

this morning woke up with head and chest cold already searched the site as to what I can take.

i am down 40 pounds and feel great.  Some stalls which are expected. But so happy I did the surgery and changed my life

sorry for the long message  I know all of you can relate and understand.

have a super day

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/16 6:04 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Sounds like you have thing well in hand and have made a great start. Congratulations to you. 

Patm
on 1/15/16 6:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have issues with work food as well. Most of the time they no longer ask if I want to join them. Especially if it is a buffet or pizza. I have gone on a few. It gets easier to eat out the farther out you get

I work with a guy who loves to supply candy to everyone. People often stop by for it. He keeps a bowl and a large box of Halloween candy in his office at all time. This is very close to me. Some days are harder than others

Good luck with learning to live with it. Congratulations on your weight loss

HKT53
on 1/15/16 11:54 am - Toronto, Canada

Wow - you are good....you are very good. Keep it up. I don't have to work with those kind of people anymore...but I used to. Everybody has this sense of entitlement, self-absorbed, egotistical and self-indulgence. They love to coerce others into failure.

If you think you hear the food demons calling your name....post us first. Or, better still think up a motto, print it and hang it in your area. Something that nobody would really get, but that you could look at and get yourself over that breaking moment. I used to hang a piece of paper that said one word "Seriously!"

Yes, I know exactly what you are going through with all those negative people. I have to deal with that everyday. Now its friends and family that comment that I look drained, tired, face-drawn and yes my the all time nerve clinching "oh, go ahead -- its just this". You know they are all just trying to justify their lack of will power.

You are my hero. What are you thinking when you walk away without indulging?

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

B-Trix123
on 1/16/16 2:30 pm - Toronto, Canada

I remember my first trip to the grocery store post op - stopping and reading everything before it went in my cart. I saw a couple whose cart was overflowing with everything. I wanted to bite their heads off - probably too many carbs!

Be wary about not joining in on functions in the workplace or in your personal life. There is something to be said about sharing a little info so people don't bombard you with food or unkind remarks. Most will understand, maybe support you or just drop the issue. Those who don't -- try not to care too much about what they think. They were likely nasty before you had your surgery and will continue to be well into the future. I think this is a Dr. Phil-ism -- People don't think about you as much as you think they do. Please don't let your dietary restrictions isolate you from leading a socially active life! Food is everywhere and we just have to work around it. As others have said here - it will bet easier in the months to come.

I admire your exercise regime! I have been lightheaded for several months post op -- so being physically active has been a challenge. Feeling better in the last week or so -- my stationary bike is waiting for me in the corner and hoping to do some lengths in the pool when I get to month 6!

Canadajet
on 1/17/16 5:16 pm

Your are absolutely correct not to avoid a social life.  I have gone out for meals and my best friend will share a plate.  Unfortunately work functions are not so easy.  Several of us do not go because the food choices are poor.  To be honest there are few I want to spend an hour with...you know the types, the know-it-alls, the narcissistic, the arguer, the gossiper, the suck up because the boss is at the table...I am a straight shooter and thankfully my day is spent not with them but the hundreds of clients a support in the community.  So I guess I make the choice not food about whether i join in with them.  I am selective not solitary but cautious.  

good words of wisdom no matter

exercise is something I knew I needed to add in to begin my transformation as food could not only be incorporated.  Start small. Try one minute on the bike and after five days go to two.  You will be amazed that you can do it

Most Active
Recent Topics