Day 7 of Optifast- Half way there!

Jennellybean
on 1/18/16 8:54 am - Canada

Hi Everyone! 

I hope everyone had a great weekend and are staying warm. I'm on my 7th day of optifast and am feeling ok. I'm definitely sick of sweet flavours and miss having different textures to enjoy. I play around with the optifast (more ice, less ice, less water, hot, cold, different flavours added, etc.), but optifast is still optifast. The broth does give some relief to all of the sweet. The only good thing to come out of optifast is that I'm down 14 lbs! 

What I find I'm most nervous about right now is the experience of coming out of surgery. What was your experience like waking up from surgery? Were you in a lot of pain? I'm a baby when it comes to pain :( 

Also, when packing for the hospital, what was one thing that you were most thankful you brought with you (if anything)?

8 more days to go- and I'm not going to lie- I'm scared! 

Thanks for all your support on here. It's really helping me get through! 

Referral: April 28 2015 Orientation: July 29 2015 Social Worker: September 1 2015 Nurse Practitioner: September 16 2015 Nutrition Class: October 20 2015 Psychologist November 11 2015 Dietitian November 17 2015 Meet the Surgeon December 11 2015 Surgery January 26 2016

nitethyme
on 1/18/16 9:04 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Hi there, you are right Optifast is still Optifast! And way to go on being down 14lbs! 

I had my surgery at TWH and I don't even remember being in recovery! I was in surgery at about 3pm and out around 5 ish (I think), my Mom and brother stopped by so they could 'touch me' .. lol their way of making sure I was ok.  I had some pain, however it wasn't terrible but if you are in pain don't wait until the last minute to let the nurse know ... just ring that bell and they will get you more pain medication.  Best advice to me was, sip tha****er, walk those halls and make some music (toot toot), that will help with your healing and lessen the pain.

I was scared too and in fact had a little cry on the table just before I went out but I had a wonderful team and everything went as it was supposed.  You will be fine and will rock this operation! All the best 

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/18/16 9:48 am - Ottawa, Canada

You're doing great!

I was in some pain right after I woke up from surgery...my back was killing me.  The nurse was right there, and was asking me how I was, and I said my back was killing me, and immediately she said hold on, it will be one minute...and she put something nice in my IV, then put a nice warm blanket over me...and my one minute of regret for the surgery was over!  Pain gone.  After being in recovery for a little over an hour, they moved me to my room, and I walked from the gurney to my bed...though made a stop at the bathroom on the way...not so bad at all!

And by the way, if you've never had surgery before, it's very cool.  The last thing you remember is that they're putting you out, and it seems like a mere moment later that they're waking you up.  Very surreal.  Like time has disappeared!  It's the absence of everything. 

Good luck!

DD

Jo_Jo
on 1/18/16 1:42 pm
RNY on 02/09/16

I am also having my surgery soon (Feb 9), and feeling scared about the procedure. It's good to have support from others that have experienced it. Not looking forward to drinking those shakes (starting in one week). Best of luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will go well. 

B-Trix123
on 1/18/16 2:16 pm - Toronto, Canada

Pack ear plugs - we had a screamer down the hall.

In recovery my throat was a little sore -- ice chips did the trick, and my back hurt but once I had a pillow slid under, much better. Once I was in the room, no surgical pain at all! I was on constant IV morphine first day, so they probably helped. By the 2nd day I was just on Tylenol and although they gave me a scrip for morphine, I didn't need anything but rest when I got home. A couple of weeks down the road constipation gave me grief - so monitor yourself carefully in that regard.

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/18/16 2:20 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Oh, and lip balm and lotion...absolutely essential.  Ear plugs too as well as slip on shoes/slippers of some sort!  But didn't really need anything else.  Used their nightgowns.  Slept and walked too much to be able to focus on a book or anything.  Brought my ipod...that was nice. 

DD

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/18/16 6:02 pm - Canada

Don't remember much about waking up except the first trip to the bathroom ..I was assisted, I felt high as a kite, got the spins and threw up.

After that I felt fine other than being EXTREMELY THIRSTY.  They gave me a sponge on a stick to "moisten" your mouth.  I was basically chewing on it and dunking it in ice water.  I believe I had to stop liquids at midnight or earlier the night before....my surgery wasn't til around 3pm, and this was around 8.  DRY was an understatement!!!!

I agree with music headphones or earplugs.  It sure isn't the place to rest with all the buzzers and ringing, people talking, other peoples visitors there all hours and people coming in all the time changing IV's and taking vitals etc.  I took my phone and iPod but forgot my charger.....don't forget your chargers.

Aside from walking around a lot the next day..the rest of the time was spent trying to rest.  I found I didn't feel like doing much but texting or talking on the phone....until my phone died.  

As for pain...I found whatever they were giving me worked like a charm, but I could really feel when it was starting to wear off and I was approaching dose time.  I was givien Liquid Tylenol for pain when I left the hospital, that I only had to use 2-3 times for the first day or two at home.(tastes horrible)

14lbs is a great start, and your second week will fly by!!!   It's normal to be nervous.  This is a BIG DEAL!!!   You will be just fine.  All the little things that we have to do along the way that are "unpleasant " ..........are ALL WORTH IT.  It truly is an awesome gift of a second chance.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

sfayad
on 1/18/16 9:49 pm - Canada

Great work jenn: 

keep up the good work I'm sure you will do amazing , your dedication really shows and am sure you will do great next week at surgery 

keep up the great work. 

Simon

Dianna22
on 1/19/16 10:10 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 01/12/16

Honestly dont bring much at all to the hospital. I brought a whole bag with me. And crossword puzzle book (never used).. My cell (barely used surprisingly)..   All u really need are clothes to go home in. The surgery sites dont really hurt in hospital cuz of the pain meds. But the gas thats trapped inside is absolutely horrible!! That is what most of my pain was. Especially under ribs.. Sharp pains. But just remember you did all of this for a reason.. When u get those bad pains ask for meds and dont be shy because u have to ask for it. They dont give it on a schedule.. Everytime i got up to pee.. I also went for a walk around unit.  The leak test xray (the liquid u have to take a gulp of absolutely disgusting reminds me of the hard core antiseptic floor clearner lol) When i was in my room the first night and 2nd day i kept falling asleep i think cuz of meds.. 3day i didnt feel comfortable leaving yet cuz of pain.. So i left on my 4day. Since i sorta slept a lot i didnt need anything in my bag..   Barely used my cell (which normally its always in my hand) i didnt even want my tv on much in my room.. Just make sure u rest walk rest walk! Im home now 5 days and my gas still hurts but i can tell its not as bad. And if i reach a certain way my surgical sites hurt a little. Clear liquid diet.. Suggestions .. Hot chicken broth.. Hot decaf tea.. Warm is better me! ... Best of luck.. Let me know if u have any questions!!

Most Active
Recent Topics