Ok... Tell me what I need to know.

kimmygirl180
on 2/28/16 3:49 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/02/16

Hi everyone, 

Well it is 3 days before surgery and I have never been more ready.  It has been such a long journey for me since my Dr. sent in the referral Aug. 2014, but I know that I needed that time to read, research, change my lifestyle and learn all that I can about what is about to happen to me.  

I can't say that I am nervous, but I am very, very excited.  My surgery date came so much sooner than expected due to me changing surgeons, so I am on day 12 of Opti and looking forward to the end.  My Opti experience was ok, nothing really to say except thank you to everyone who posted their favourite mixes and to make sure they were done with ice and cold water. 

So, as I sit here thinking about all my vitamins, protein shakes and powder, and the full fluid items that are waiting for me when I get home from surgery.  What else do I need to know?

I know the vets on here have so much knowledge and wisdom, I don't think there is a post that I haven't read that I learn something from. I thank all of you who have taken your time to read, reply and give 100% of your time to me and others on this board that are just starting their journey.  We know that we can come here to vent, cry, brag, and share every minute of our journey, whether good or bad, and there will be someone who cares and supports us.  I say a very big Thank You to all of you.  

I look forward to the next chapter in my life, and will continue to be part of the OH community where you can be yourself and find others just like you.  

Thank you again,

Kim 

Referral - September/14, Orientation HRRH - December 1/14, Surgeon appt. (Dr. Starr) - April 24/15, Trio appts. - July 21/15, Dr. Glazer - August 17/15, switched surgeon to Dr. Huynh Feb. 17/16, Surgery date - March 2/16-

1 year follow up - Lost 82% of my excess body fat. Starting weight 315lbs, today 151lbs.

elisabeth1968
on 2/28/16 5:01 pm - toronto, Canada

Hi Kim, i just got chills after reading your message.  i think that i am speaking for everyone here when i say these feeling are so normal.  it wouldn't be normal if you were not nervous or scared.  Take one day at a time.  walk alot in the hospital and take some time off to heal.

chew your food well after surgery, sip a little at a time.  You will do just great!!!!

Please let me know if there is anything that you need.  i had surgery April 2015 and am feeling great.  There were a few days that i felt nauseous and sick but they do pass.

Looking forward to hearing all about your surgery and how successful it was.

Lisa

birdiegirl
on 2/29/16 1:55 am

The very best advice I can give you is to work it for all its worth the first 6 months

DONT WASTE ONE DAY OF LOSING in this time frame

Don't just 'try' non essential foods to "see' if you can handle it- pasta - bread - sweets - etc will be waiting for you around the bend.  You have this one great chance to get as much weight off as possible.  Take advantage.

Follow the instructions given to the letter.  Drink your water.  What you eat is more important than how you move - exercise is great, but what you eat is the most important in your short and long term success

You are a higher BMI Kim, so was I.  I did not deviate - not even once - for the first 9 months until I had the majority of the weight off.  I kept the pedal to the metal until I made goal.  You can do this.

People will lose weight regardless of themselves the first few months.  It gives many a false sense of security in that they feel they can eat crap - ice cream/pasta etc. etc. and lose weight so they must be doing it right.

HOWEVER, what they are not realizing is maybe they could lose it faster if they ate protein forward - bit of veggie and kept to it.  So at the end of 6 months they are down 60 - 80 pounds but it could have been 100 pounds if they had just followed the straight and narrow path.

Things get a lot tougher the further out you are.  You get bored - the weight doesn't come off as fast.  Then your body learns how to cope with its new anatomy.   Weight loss slows or stops for some especially if they aren't eating properly.  They think - its OK, I am so much better off then I was.  But they don't realize that regain happens to the best of us and suddenly you are battling hard. 

Use and treasure each and every day of easy weight loss.

All the best

BUFFY M.
on 2/29/16 9:06 am - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

Still having surgery at Humber?  When I was there, one of meals given to me included ice cream. If you see it on your tray, Don't eat it! LOL. I didn't because I knew it must've been a screw up considering how much fat and sugar is in it. I think someone must've ate theirs because I heard someone being violently sick next door.  

Referral: July 2014 Orientation: October 2014 Meeting with Surgeon: March 23, 2015 RN/SW/Dietician: June 1, 2015 2ND Phone Interview with Dietician: July 7, 2015 Dr. Glazier (Internist): August 24, 2015 Surgery: November 23, 2015 Starting Weight: 305 lbs - Goal Weight: 130 lbs - Current Weight: 145 lbs

Dar_Tay
on 2/29/16 1:19 pm - Canada

I'm 6 weeks post op from Humber. My best advice is to be sure to have someone stay with you overnight until you can get up on your own. Trust me, I had NO help at all my first night post op.  Nurse refused to help me get out of bed or slide up higher in the bed to a comfortable position.   Due to cir****tances, my hubby could not stay with me that first night but he did the second night.  

Yet, I have heard many many wonderful things about the nurses so my nurses must have been just having a bad day.

Carchick28
on 3/1/16 8:24 am - Canada

Did you have a private room?  I did not think that you could have people stay over unless you were in a private room.  That really sucks that no one would help you. 

Dar_Tay
on 3/1/16 11:48 am - Canada

Yes I had a private room.

I honestly had a very bad experience at Humber with my care for the 2 days I was there. But that is all behind me now and I'm doing good!!

Carchick28
on 3/1/16 8:25 am - Canada

I have read many of your previous posts and I only just noticed that we had orientation on the same day. You are the first one I have noticed that was there when I was.  Good luck with your surgery. 

Most Active
Recent Topics