Preop Needs Some Advice

Kat1313
on 9/30/12 7:14 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Hi, my name is Kathy.  I'm 62 (will be 63 in Nov) and have been considering WLS for quite some time.  I'm in the preop process for RNY and have 2 more months to go on my physician supervised weight loss program.  All the other requirements have been completed.  I even quit smoking 4.5 months ago.

My question:  Am I too old to be having this surgery?  Will it even be worth it, realistically?
I'm 5'5", 254 lbs.  Have sleep apnea, blood sugar levels creeping up, and pretty severe arthritis, as well as chronic anxiety and depression disorder,.  Exercise is quite difficult due to the arthritis.

My concerns are operative complications, of course, but more than that - will I be able to follow the new lifestyle required for RNY? I'm afraid the depression and difficulty exercising may make this a  problem.  Also, I'm single so don't have anyone at home to help and this is a slight concern.

How old were you when you had your surgery?  What complications did you have, if any?  How did you adjust to the new lifestyle?  Do you feel it was worth the sacrifices you have made?

Any advice, information, or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Kathy
Patricia R.
on 10/1/12 12:28 am - Perry, MI
 Hi Kathy,
I can't help with the age question, because I was 48 when I had my RNY.  What I can tell you is that I had all of the comorbidities, plus high cholesterol.  I weighed 315, but I'm 5'8".  The only exercise you need to do in the beginning is to walk.  Be prepared to do a lot of it.  In fact, start now.  

I can tell you that it is definitely worth it.  My blood sugar has been perfect since three months post op.  I hardly notice my arthritis.  My sleep apnea is practically nil.  The mental health issues are another matter, because I have bipolar disorder, but I take my meds and am stable.  

I have had no complications.  About 16 months post-op, I needed an incisional hernia repaired.  I had open RNY, but don't regret it one bit.

Adjusting to the lifestyle was not too difficult because I was already following most of the dietary guidelines to begin with.  Start eliminating sugar and wean yourself off caffeine now.  Start taking walks, make each longer than the previous one.  

You should find that the more you exercise, you'll suffer less from depression.  Exercise releases endorphins, which are feel good chemicals in the brain.

I believe the surgery was totally worth it.  I have so many blessings now.  I'm more than 100 pounds lighter than my consultation weight.  I can travel on airplanes without asking for a seatbelt extender.  I have little arthritis pain.  

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Connie D.
on 10/1/12 12:50 am
Kathy...you are NOT too old for this surgery. In fact it will add years to your life.

I had my surgery 5 years ago and don't regret it for a moment. I was 58 at the time. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner!!!

The only complication I had was that the surgeon nicked my bowel and that had to be repaired. I was in the hospital a couple extra days. I am not having any problems because of it.

I was a Type 2 Diabetic. After surgery I no longer have that issue. I also had high blood pressure and no longer deal with that either.

My life has changed so much. I have COPD, Asthma, Osteoarthritis, and chronic Fibromyalgia. I also deal with depression and PTSD. I can get around great now. I can sit on the floor and play with my grandchildren. I have so much more energy!!  I DO WALK!!  I was jogging and getting ready for a 5K when I fell and broke my hip. Since then I can't walk the 3 miles a day I  did everyday. I do still walk but a mile at a time is about all my hip/leg will allow.

I wish you the very best. I hope you will stay here and post with us daily. We are a great group and love having newbies join us. We will be happy to help you with any questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask any kind of question. We try to be very supportive and are very caring!! WELCOME to OFF!!!

HUGS....connie d

susandoeshair
on 10/1/12 1:04 am - Alexander, AR
 I typed out this great response and POOF it disappeared, so here I go again.....

Yes, yes, YES it's worth it, no matter what age you are as long as your doctor feels you aren't a risk. I know of many people older than you who had WLS and have been very successful.

Your sugar issues will most likely disappear, as will your BP problems. I had sleep apnea and was able to go off my CPAP, but now I'm back at it. The doc says it's not weight related, but more likely age related now. Gee, thanks Doc.
Arthritis will always be around, but with less weight, you'll be able to be more and more active. Anxiety and depression are often associated to obesity, that my lessen as well. 

Complications happen, less often now as procedures become more advanced. It was a risk I was more than willing to accept. 

I think, after the first few days home from the hospital, that living alone would be a benefit. My poor husband felt terrible eating around me, fearing I would want to eat when/what I wasn't supposed to. For awhile, he ate in the other room, but I put a stop to that toot sweet!   We all have to learn new discipline and routines, and without having anyone else to worry about, you'll be free to concentrate on following the rules and doing EXACTLY what your doctor and staff tell you to do. 

Hope this helps. Be strong, brave and consider it a journey full of adventures!

Susan

Kat1313
on 10/1/12 1:15 am, edited 10/1/12 1:15 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thank you all for your encouraging replies.  I'll definitely keep coming back to this group.

What keeps going thru my mind - and I'm sure this is largely the depression talking - is "is my life expectancy long enough to make this surgery worth is?"  i know that probably sounds ridiculous.  I have been researching WLS for several years and I KNOW the health benefits to be had.  However, I feel that I've abused my body for so long with the food, cigarettes and sedentary life style that my life expectancy is probably pretty crummy.  Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball!

Will have to work on this.  I'm seeing a therapist and taking antidepressants - they were just changed and I'm having some problems with the change so maybe that is part of the problem.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Kathy
Eileen Briesch
on 10/1/12 1:34 am - Evansville, IN
Hi Kathy and welcome to the Over-50 Forum (OFF):

No, you're not too old. Plenty of people over 60 have had the surgery with great success.One, who doesn't post here often any more is Pat Root. She just remarried this weekend. Some of us have more weight to lose than you do and did fine. I was 355 pounds and 5-3 in 2004 when I had my surgery. At my lowest, I was 167 and 5-4 (I actually regained an inch in height). I have regained some weight. Mostly because after a knee replacement gone wrong, I have been unable to exercise. Some because I was depressed and didn't follow the rules of the pouch.

Yes, you can do this. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It will be worth it.

I had no post-op complications. My main problme was low potassium, both pre- and post-op. You will have to follow some guidelines. I don't recall what surgery you were having. You will have to take vitamins and supplements for the rest of your life because of malaborption.

I was 49 when I had my surgery and it was the best decision I ever made ... the knee surgery, not so much. I just had my second total knee replacement and hope this one goes better.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

poegirl100
on 10/1/12 1:50 am - Cibolo, TX
Hi Kathy,

I just want to add my two cents' worth here.  Everyone has already extolled the many benefits of WLS, and they're all absolutely right!  I was 54 at the time of my surgery.  I lost about 100 lbs and I feel terrific these days.   

What I want you to consider is that morbid obesity is NOT your fault.  You didn't do anything wrong in your life.  MO is a disease that unfortunately catches many of us in a vicious cycle, and public opinion about obesity makes it very hard to accept that it's not our fault that we're fat.

What I want you to consider is this: if you had a life-threatening illness that could be surgically corrected and vastly improve the quality of your life, not to mention the longevity of your life, wouldn't you want to have that surgery?  Of course you would!  Well, morbid obesity IS a life-threatening illness and it CAN be surgically corrected and it WILL give you back years of high quality living. 

I have been told by many well meaning individuals that there is a RIGHT way to lose weight, meaning diet and exercise.  That's bull.  I'm sure, like most of us, you have tried various diets and exercise to no avail.  It's nobody's business HOW you lose weight.  What's important is that you take the necessary actions to improve your health.  Once you have the surgery, you will actually be able to "eat right" and "exercise" and--miraculously--it will have the desired effect!  All the frustration that you have felt about WL for years will disappear as you become friends with your body again.  You will actually learn to enjoy food again because it will cease to become the enemy.  No, you won't be able to eat huge amounts of food, but eventually you will very much enjoy food again without feeling guilty.  The "new lifestyle" required by WLS is really very easy to adjust to because you will have a new tool to help you maintain compliance.  Plus, you'll just feel so darn much better!

I urge you to set aside your fear and misgivings and go for it!  The "sacrifices", as you put it, are nothing compared to the benefits from having WLS.  A year from now, you won't recognize yourself! 

Best of luck to you, sweetie!  Keep posting here.  We'll all help you through it.

Vickie 

Kat1313
on 10/1/12 2:00 am, edited 10/1/12 2:00 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thank you so much, Vickie!  You've encouraged me a great deal.
Debbie A.
on 10/1/12 6:43 am - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12

I'm 57 and had my RnY on Aug 15th and I'm so happy I did it! My weight is coming off slowly, I'm down 32 lbs, I have arthritis in my back and it's very hard for me to exercise. I'm 5'4" and I was 242 lbs I'm now 210 and the difference in how I feel is amazing. I'm with this wonderful group of people on this site that you're never too old for this. I don't regret a thing.  I just wish I would of done it sooner. The sacrifices are not that big of a deal, because of whom I'm becoming. I even went and bought myself a cruiser bike and plan on riding it 3-4 times a week. My arthritis is better and so is my depression. 

Big Hugs,

Debbie

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"

"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Kat1313
on 10/1/12 7:22 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thanks, Debbie!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 389 views