Saturday

Nancy B
on 5/14/16 12:15 am - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Good morning to all:

The last few days have been very busy for me and yet I feel like I have nothing of interest to share. However, I remain true to my plans to stay prepared and drink lots of water.

Thursday was one of those days that complicates my life. At home, I can drink water and always be close to the "facilities". However, after a Hot Chocolate protein drink, I headed out and had a long meeting with the Events manager at the local hotel(Hilton)...I turned down samples of their cooking and had only peppermint tea. Not easy but necessary.

After signing  the contracts for our big event next Fall, I headed to the highway and up to The Falls to meet an out-of-town friend for HIGH TEA. I had already planned my intake so I was able to eat one sandwich without guilt. Earl Grey Cream Tea was lovely and I managed to ask for a takeout box for the four different tempting cake pieces that came with our "tea"...they survived the trip home and now rest in JB's belly instead of mine. Small stuff but wow, I felt so proud of me.  SMALL BABY STEPS...doesn't sound like much of a big deal but we do need to celebrate our tiny accomplishments as well. 

On the way home, I stopped at a special grocery store and bought myself four huge oranges, two different kinds of apples, a bundle of celery, a package of hemp seeds, and a 1 kilo jar of Skippy Peanut Butter (reg 8.99) for $3.99.

I already made a stir-fry for the weekend with a crazy amount of mushrooms and fresh asparagus with lean beef and now I have the oranges and apples to eat if I get nibbly. I always found it hard to stick to a plan long ago and gave up trying so often. But now, with my new "plumbing", so many things have changed and I am content to just eat the same thing all of the time.

So I have made batches of stuffed green peppers and homemade baked beans...both high in protein and fibre....now frozen in single portions for convenience...I find that, for me, it is the "quick fix" that leads me astray so I must have suitable foods at all times or I get into trouble.

The celery is washed and cut into 3 inch pieces...I can quickly stuff a few pieces with peanut butter or cream cheese, then roll that in my mixture of seeds and nuts. These seeds and nuts, and the Hemp seeds, also make a tasty addition to my rolled oats, on my salad or sprinkled on just about anything i eat. And that is satisfying.

I have TWO 3-day conferences to attend and teach workshops, the last weekend in May and the following week, the first weekend of June, so I know that eating will be a challenge BUT I am excited because these people have not seen me for a year and I am down 48 pounds since then...that keeps me in the "groove" and I can still enjoy participating without focusing just on the FOOD.

Living in a rather large side-split house, my painful knees crunch and grind at every step. As the weight slowly goes, I do find, now and then, a bit less pain as I climb...thank goodness for railings on both sides...but every step that does NOT hurt, I always whisper "thank you"...I am not a religious person but I am always GRATEFUL for life's experiences.

So let's appreciate our own small accomplishments..they may not seem like much to others but they mean EVERYTHING to ourselves.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ready2goNOW
on 5/14/16 6:59 am

Good Morning Nancy!

I wouldn't worry about whether you feel you have anything interesting to share. I find a great deal of interest in how ppl spend their average day...

I have met my water intake everyday this week as well as my 40 minute walks each day. Although last night I thought my one knee would collapse from pain! But I made goal. I think I may need to stick to the 40 for another week. I have seen this happen every time I increase my walk. I don't want an injury do I will allow myself to get comfortable. Hopefully if this weather warms up & it stops raining every day we can get our pool open soon. But I need 85/or above to get in the water.

Well grocery shopping, gardening, some housework & a long drive are on my agenda.

Everyone have a good day!

Kathy

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/16 8:41 am

Kathy

walk as much as you can but please !! do not hurt your knees.  Have you tried a support brace?  What do you take for the pain.  If Tylenol does not keep it at bay you might ask you doctor for a compounded ointment.  My doctor has a compounding pharmacy make up a cream for me.  It helps most people but for me it works really well on my thumbs but not so much on my knees.  You might give it a try.  Do you ice you knee, especially after straining it?  That might help.  For some heat works better.  My doc says ice for inflammation and heat for muscle ache, but he also said whatever makes me feel better I should do.  Hope you get some relief.

Patricia R.
on 5/14/16 8:24 am - Perry, MI

Good Morning Nancy, and OFF,

I was going to participate in a dog walk fund raiser for an animal shelter this morning, but I couldn't sleep last night because of pain all over.  It was raining, and my joints, and foot hate dampness.  I could have gone to Lincoln's football game, but couldn't get moving this morning.  I'll take Utley for a walk in a little while.

My food was not good yesterday.  I had thawed some chicken for dinner, but ended up at Colleen's playing Life with Lincoln, coz Colleen wasn't feeling well, and had asked me to get her some tummy medicine at RiteAid for her.  Trent came home from work, and invited me to have pizza with them.  

I need to sit down and write out a menu for next week.  I hope I can stick to it.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/16 9:00 am

Nancy

I know what you mean about not having anything interesting to say.  But keeping in touch is what is important.

Today I don't know what I am going to do.  After I post I will be headed to the shower then I'll look at the weather and decide. 

I have cleaned and cut into sticks my celery and carrots.  Some time today I will cook a head of cabbage.  I have frozen peeled and cooked shrimp in my freezer and some basa fillets and stuffed pepper soup also.  I think I am ready for the next few days of eating without having to think. I am still struggling with water.  Like you, drinking that much water means running to the bathroom a lot and if I am outside walking the trails it can be difficult.  If I am at the Y, the weight room is way down the hall from the bathroom also not easy.  Plus I'm just not in the habit of drinking that much and I forget.  So....I know what I have to work on.

Well its off to the shower for me.

lightswitch
on 5/14/16 10:13 am

Hey Nancy and Ladies,

I have gotten my water in this week too. Let me just say that in the beginning, when I started amping up on the water, I went to pee every twenty minutes and I complained to my doctor. He said, well, since you have not been drinking the water the way you should, your kidneys are having to struggle at getting those toxins that the water brings through the filtration system.You have the poison because you haven't been drinking enough water to cleanse the system, so yeah, you will pee a lot for a while but keep at it and your body will adjust.  And, it has. I still pee much more than I did before increasing the water but the urine is clearer and I pee a lot when I go...Just like everything else, it takes our bodies a bit to get use to us treating them correctly. When we walk, our muscles and joints fuss at it but it is a process just like our kidneys fuss at is when we suddenly bombard them with all tha****er. LOL.

Ladies, my tail bone has been hurting me so much. You know, when I got sick and lost all that weight, my tail bone hurt me so much that I had to carry a pillow and when I gained some of that weight back, my tail bone got some padding back...then I gained a little more (more than I wanted) and my tailbone was feeling great...well, since becoming a vegetarian, I have lost quite a bit of weight and now the damn tail bone is back to killing me.  I guess I'll be carrying the cushion with me to work.  

Last night, DH and I went to the grocery store to pick up some cat products and earlier this morning, we ran to the farmer's market and picked up some fresh produce. I bought another TX watermelon from a guy who usually sells peaches and pears. He drove down and picked up a truck load and he said they should be eaten with a day or two...well, I cut that sucker up and DH and I have eaten water melon all morning.  

I have also cut up the celery and carrots so we have something quick to eat.  I tell you, it's work to make sure we have the healthy food and that it is ready to go.  

Nancy, I use both hemp and chia seeds but I put them in my soups to make them creamy...the chia seeds I let sit in warm water while they dissolve but the hemp, I throw in and the two make my potato soup so rich and creamy with adding milk or butter. I also strongly recommend getting nutritional yeast and using it in soups and even on salads...gives everything a cheesy flavor.  Also, the yeast is full of protein.  

Well, let me get off here and see if I can get some house cleaning chores done.  

Ladies, enjoy your Saturday. 

seasheleyes
on 5/14/16 10:47 am - Manteca, CA

I don't have much to say today. I am just having a sad day. A very close friend moved across the country a month ago and it has been hard on me. Also my husband has been gone for a week and I just feel lonely. I do have friends but I think I am in the mood to wallow. In a while I will get out of the house and drive to Modesto. I bought a bird bath the other day along with other things and was gabbing with other customer as I left the store, not realizing I left the birdbath until I got home and it was not in the trunk. 

So off I go...

Julia

Nancy B
on 5/14/16 2:35 pm - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

It's a very cold and dark day here..we have had a spate of downpours but the lilacs are now blooming! I had PLANNED on making two poached eggs on my piece of ancient grains toast (I allow myself 2 slices/week). However, you know the saying:

WANT TO MAKE GOD LAUGH? Make PLANS!"....while I had a restless night as ope usual, and slept instead until 12 noon (Yay, weekends!), I went to the kitchen to find that JB had been to the grocery store and bought a few things including a dozen eggs.

Last week, I went to make brownies for my grands and there were NO EGGs! He had hard-cooked them all for snacking.  I explained, once again, that I want some raw eggs left for me for various reasons (baking, comfort food moments, planned protein).

Today, I had my taste buds ready for my PLANNED poached eggs and there are one dozen HARD COOKED EGGS in the fridge! I asked (in a most pleasant voice, naturally)..where the hell are MY eggs????

His reply: "Our hydro bill is too high. I cooked all 12 because the pot was too big and took 12 to fill it nicely or they get cracked bouncing around in there and the hydro for cooking ten eggs is the same for cooking twelve eggs..so I was being EFFICIENT and thrifty!"

My response:"

Nancy B
on 5/14/16 2:38 pm - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Apparently this site did not appreciate my RESPONSE (above) and left the space blank.  Just imagine a long row of symbols!   lolol 

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/16 2:56 pm

Yeah I can do that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 389 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1190 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1198 views