abnormalities with blood before surgery

EB2012
on 4/4/11 8:39 am - Canada
Hi, I'm curious if anyone had an abnormalities with their blood before surgery and the doctor handled that. Anything like Anemia, or low/high levels of anything. I have low iron and not sure if that will cause a problem.
shellymor
on 4/4/11 10:17 am - TX
I had macrocytic anemia (b-12 deficiency)and had to get that level up before I could have surgery. My iron was always right on the borderline, so I worked on that, too. It depends on your level and what your dr. chooses to do, as to whether it will cause a problem. Be sure and ask-
DrL
on 4/4/11 1:19 pm - Houston, TX
Like Shellmor says....be sure your doc checks your labs before surgery and allows enough time to correct things. WLS patients may have a variety of deficiencies that vary depending on the type of surgery. 

Deficiencies cause poor healing, lowered resistance to infection, and potential bleeding problems.

WLS patients are usually not able to get the nutrition in as quickly and easily after surgery which adds to the problems.

Also, remember, most PS after WLS are HUGE procedures with TONS of healing required.  So a conditioned individual who is "tuned up" nutritionally will have a night-and-day different recovery (better) than someone who's not.

Ask Ms. Shelly about that.  I kid you not when I tell you this lady ran circles around my less active patients who were 20 years "younger" who had the exact same procedures the same week as her.  You really can do a lot to determine your own recovery.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
shellymor
on 4/4/11 8:55 pm - TX
To have a wonderful recovery, you also have to have a talented, very knowlegable surgeon, and I truly have that. Thanks, Dr. L!
Jupiter6
on 4/4/11 1:26 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I was anemic but my surgeon operated anyway-- and then I became *dangerously* anemic, requiring a series of every-other day infusions for many weeks. I cannot stress enough the importance of correcting that *before* surgery-- it made me very ill and lengthened my healing time considerably.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

EB2012
on 4/4/11 1:52 pm, edited 4/6/11 2:44 am - Canada
I had labs about 6 weeks ago
Renee2007
on 4/5/11 1:02 am - Central, FL
 You should have your Iron and Ferritin checked as well.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

vanish
on 4/4/11 10:34 pm - MN
I have an Antibody in my blood due to a placental abruption during pregnancy so they have to have a special blood on hand for me.  I have scheduled my preop exam for 1 week prior to surgery so there is time to get the blood I need just in case.  I have surgery on 4/25.

If you think there is going to be a problem with something like Iron, take a supplement or more red meat etc in plenty of time prior to surgery so you are set.   Good luck.
 RNY 12/28/09 

Most Active