Longterm swelling

Bevangelista
on 6/20/11 11:40 pm
Hi all,

I'm new to the board and just starting to investigate plastic surgery.  Had RNY in Jan 2010 and have lost about 130 lbs, down to 145.   Most of the excess weight is in my belly, hips and thighs.

I never thought I'd do PS but didn't realize how much loose, saggy skin I'd have (I'm 44).  My neck in particular drives me crazy, but I'd also love to fix my arms, belly, breasts and the whole hip/thigh/buttocks area.  I've been reading through all the posts and the pics scare the heck out of me, honestly, plus all the discussion of swelling.  It sounds like the swelling lasts for months.  Does it come back?  Is there anyone here who's years out from PS who still deals with swelling problems?  And do the scars ever truly fade?

Would love to hear from some folks who are a long time out from PS.  Or does anyone know where I'd see pics of how people look a few years later?

Thanks!
Barbara

Doesn't include 8 lbs lost pre-surgery        
michelle1123
on 6/21/11 4:41 pm - San Francisco, CA

Hi there, 

PS is trualy a trade-off.  So many benefits come as a result, but there are also some drawbacks... among them being swelling.  Everyone is different, but I'm more than a year out from several procedures (arm lift, lower body lift, thigh lift, and breast aug) and I STILL deal with swelling on almost a daily basis.  As a result, I still wear compression garments fairly often (I swell uncomfotably if I don't).  That said... I would do the PS again in a minute.  My body looked like a defleated balloon after my weight loss and it prevented me from being as happy as I could be about my body.  For the first time in my entire life I now have the confidence to wear a bikini and shedding the extra skin was liberating.

Michelle

Crazeru
on 6/22/11 8:47 am
I'm 5 months out from LBL, BL, arms and medial thigh lift, and a full facelift.  I've found if I wear my body garment at night, I'm pretty good most of the next day.  Now, that's it's close to 100 outside, just wearing at night isn't too bad.  I didn't mind wearing the garment during the day to keep warm.

My scars are looking better.  I'd rather have the scars than the extra skin.  I have parts that are a fine line and some that are still noticable.  I've been wearing sleeveless tops for over a month and dancing and no one has said anything yet. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Laurieostrom
on 6/23/11 2:12 am
I underestimated the bother that swelling would be.  I had TT and BA with Lipo on April 19th.  So, I'm just 2 months out.  The swelling is mostly in my tummy from the belly button down.  It stretches my tight skin and is uncomfortable.  Feels like the old days before my RNY, when I would eat myself sick...that after a thanksgiving meal kinda feeling.  I have to look in the mirror often, when my tummy is swollen like that, to remind myself that the swollen belly post plastics is still a million times better then my tummy on a good day before.  That leftover hanging skin was awful.

I agree with the other posters,  swelling is yucky,  but worth it compared to the hanging and loose skin.  It is my understanding that I should expect swelling to occur on and off for a year.  Some days are better then others, and on the bad days,  a compression garment is heaven.  Holds you in, makes you feel secure and reduces the severity.  I'm wearing one today as a matter of fact. 

As far as the scars go,  look at your RNY scars and see how well they have healed.  You should expect the same of your plastics scars....although your plastics scars will be longer.  Still,  much better then the hanging and loose skin I think!  Good luck!   It's not easy, but most things in life that are worth it, aren't.....
Most Active