Surgery Countdown!!! Dumb Question Ladies

Sharon C.
on 12/17/11 9:14 am - Plano, TX
Ok, the countdown is near.... I am going in on Monday, having my surgery at 2pm have to be at the hospital at Noon.  Nurse called and confirmed and stated the usual no makeup, no valuables, bring photo id etc.  Then she said no nail polish.  You can have toenail polish but not fingernail polish.  She said something to the effect abou****ching my oxygen.  ???? What looking for blue fingernails???? I guess I dont remember this one but I just went and got a fancy manicure so my nails would look nice for the holidays and I would not have to worry since I dont see me driving soon.  Now I have to go and get it removed?  Its the new gel nails and not easy to take off and I love it since it lasts like 3 weeks.  Any ways I know I can redo them myself but really didnt want to.  I really am not a primadonna but was so happy since they came out so nice.  ;-(  Anyways looking forward to my big day!  Thanks for letting me vent. ~Sharon
Michelle E.
on 12/17/11 10:15 am
I bet you have Gel Nail polish like I do.. Mine is french mani so the clear part is all they need to see.. if  they can't see your nail bed it will be a problem.. the PS just told me this today.. How to remove .. use nail file to buff the clear coat.. soak cotton ball in acetone.. wrap each nail in foil for 10-15 minutes,,then use wood manicure stick to scrap off the gel..

You can find further detail on gelish.com. This is most likely the product they used on your nails.

If you have french manicure then you are good to go..

Thanks,
Michelle
newalpha
on 12/17/11 10:56 am
I would think the polish would prevent the pulse ox (the little clamp thing that goes on your finger) to asses blood perfusion and oxygen saturation levels. But that is coming from a guy.

Steve
Sharon C.
on 12/17/11 11:17 am - Plano, TX

MIchelle,

Of course I usually get the french but this time I did not.  UGH!  I got the pink sparkle one color so off it will have to go!  The nurse said no nail polish period.   I told her I just had a mani and her comment was no nail poilsh period.  But the pedi was ok.   Steve I think what your saying is right.  Dont want to risk it, but you can bet as soon as I can drive I will be getting it done again, unless Santa is good to me and brings me a Gelish Kit for Xmas.... ;-) 

sonnieN
on 12/17/11 12:05 pm - grand rapids, MI
I think they just want to be able to see the color of your nails. I always had polish on both my hands and feet. The feet were a dark color but only had a french on my hands so they could still see the color. Never was told to take it off. Actually they never said to take it off at all on the pre-op call for any of my surgeries. Unfortunatley if you got a darker color you'll have to take it off. I would think the french would have been ok but alass you decided to go w/ something different this time. Ugh.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/17/11 1:07 pm
Yeah, that's pretty old, but some surgeons still insist on no nailpolish.  Toes should be fine.  Some say that the Oximeter probe for your Oxygen satiation won't pick up if there is nail polish.

My gel nail polish lasts a month or more!  Actually, until I remove it!  You can get acetone from Walgreens and just put it on a cotton ball and wrap foil around it - that's how I get mine off if I don't have time to go to the salon!

Sorry you have to remove it!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active