? On open stitch line

Sharon C.
on 1/22/12 6:45 am - Plano, TX
I just got my last stitches out last week and I saw my doc on Saturday for an EDG to make sure my pouch was doing ok.  The nurse noticed an area which came open that is a little larger than a quarter.  He didnt stitch it up just suggested sodium chloride and gauze and tape it up and it should close.  Anyone else have this problem?  Just when I thought I could put the gauze and tape away.  Thanks!  Sharon
Lisa D.
on 1/22/12 8:31 am - New Orleans, LA
I had a little spot open and I put  a butterfly bandage on it for a couple of days and it closed right up again.  Available at Walgreens.
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Sharon C.
on 1/22/12 12:32 pm - Plano, TX
Lisa,

Thanks for the tip!  I will try that.  I had no idea those existed.  I love this board!  ~Sharon
Lee ~
on 1/22/12 12:56 pm - CA
 The butterfly didn't work for me.  I had to go back for wound closure strips.  They are very long to keep the area together,  available cheap at CVS or Walgreens.  They come several open to a package.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

godzilla
on 1/22/12 4:24 pm - Israel
Mine was dehiscence got derided when I was taken in for the gangrene.
I guess my body was just special lol.
Mikimi in Israel
Raven300
on 1/22/12 6:56 pm
  I'm a master at the open incision thing.  Not the type of thing one wants to learn but....

First check the area to see if there is a protruding stitch.  These can be really tricky to see because they often are clear. If you find one, you need to remove it or the wound won't heal up and bacteria will colonize the exposed stitch.

Regardless of if there is a stitch. Grab your trusty packing gauze or a folded up piece of gauze and wet it with Saline solution (sodium chloride). Press this wet area against the open section and then cover with a small square of gauze or cotton combined dressing (a long pad of cotton that you can cut to the right size) and hold in place with a couple of pieces of tape. This piece is really just to keep  your clothes dry and protect the wet gauze from being moved off the wound.

The wet gauze will collect the white blood cells and slough that the wound makes as it is trying to heal.  You'll find some green or yellowish colored gunk collected when you remove the gauze.  This allows the tissue to granulate and make nice healthy replacement tissue to close up that wound.

Replace every 12 hours.

HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Most Active