bummed out-worried about losing surgery date- vent

dommiepa
on 3/21/12 11:40 pm - Towanda, PA
My Corsettrunkplasty and lipo is scheduled for May 16, I have been trying to get my ferritin (5) and transferritin sat (11) levels up as they are really low.  I just had my levels done again, after 6 weeks of upping my iron and c and the ferritin stayed at 5 and the sat level dropped to 7.  I now have to see about iron infusions.   I do not want to lose my surgery date, but they will not do it if my levels are  low.

The only thing upping my iron did was make my folate level 3 times the normal limit. (there is folate in my vitamin and my iron supplements)

Any advice for anyone having an infusion?  Will it be up in time for surgery, or will I have to postpone surgery?  They are booking 9 months out, and they held this date for me months ago.

I am so upset by this, just want it to be done and over with.  So tired of the excess skin hanging and my huge saddle bags that I need to get lipo done on.

Yvonne.    To thine own self be true.     hw 432/ sw 352/ cw196.8/gw 200  RNY 8/11/10 Corsettrunkplasty & thigh lipo 5/16/2012.

JustLookingToo
on 3/21/12 11:56 pm - AL
Wow, so sorry to hear that you are going through this, but you sure don't want to go into this major surgery with low iron. My levels were at 4 at one time, and I foolishly refused infusions. It took me two full years of taking double and triple iron supplements and Vitamin C to get to a somewhat normal level. Infusions would have been MUCH easier.

Hopefully someone who has had some experience with infusions will comment. Hope you get it all worked out and are able to keep your current date.

cleos_mom
on 3/23/12 9:46 am - phila., PA
I had VERY low iron . I had 7 infusions 1 each week. My Hgb went
From 8.2 up to 12.7 in 7 weeks
Good luck
Susan
ericaFG
on 3/23/12 10:13 am - Cambridge, Canada
 I'm in discussions with a hemotologist about infusions right now as I've been pumping iron for MONTHS and I've only got my ferretin up to 12 (she says it should be over 40 for good mental functioning etc.).  I was at 10 at my last surgery and dipped very low after - so I wouldn't recommend doing it that low.

I'd recommend getting the infusions.  I was told that after one infusion, I could possibly get my ferretin up to 100 and then just have to supplement to maintain.  I DON'T have malabsorption - with Rny you might need more infusions to get the same result.

I was also told to supplement with Hemme iron (like Proferrin) instead of iron salts.  When I was taking iron salts my ferretin didn't raise at all in an entire year...so I've had more success with that kind of iron for sure.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

DetroitGirl
on 3/25/12 11:17 am
I did a round of iron infusions (3 weeks, 1 infusion per week) in early December. Had surgery on Feb 10 and my hemoglobin was the highest it's been in years (above a 12). Two days after surgery I was released from the hospital with hemoglobin at 7. Ended up in the ER after passing out at home and needed to be admitted for a blood transfusion...

Being rescheduled might seem like a pain, but believe me, if your iron is too low, it is not worth the risk...
Most Active