How to avoid constipation?

Havalina
on 5/19/12 9:25 pm
Gross topic I know. Before my VSG I never had constipation issues, actually it was the opposit due to some medications. Now though its a different story. Now I am boreline not being able to go most the time.   

Every surgery minus the VSG I had issues with not being able to go to the bathroom for days after. With the VSG I was on liquids 2 weeks prior I am assuming thats why I didn't have a issue.

What did you do to help yourself before and after surgery? I will be asking my Doc what he suggests but I want to hear real life experiences too. I am dreading the idea of the pain involved with not being able to go!
 VSG  Aug 9, 2010 with Dr. Shieh in Fort Myers, FL    
HW 366 Day of Surgery 334
PS: Extended TT, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer to the rear 6/6/2012.

Angela S.
on 5/19/12 10:14 pm
 I started miralax days before I had surgery and then multiple times a day after surgery  It didn't help. I even ate apples, etc.  I finally broke down and took exlax yesterday and had a bm.
bowknot
on 5/19/12 11:04 pm
I see it as a "given" immediately after surgery. I take a daily probiotic. It helps significantly! Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.

Kay
Debra Welker
on 5/20/12 9:52 am - Kaukauna, WI
I drink the herbal laxative tea's, smooth move or get regular they are called. You can buy them in a grocery store or health food store. They are really mild and not habit forming, I drink one cup a day, and no problems.
cleos_mom
on 5/20/12 1:47 pm - phila., PA
Narcotics cause constipation.

drink plenty of water, u need to be hydrated to keep moving your bowels
good Luck
Susan
kathkeb
on 5/20/12 3:45 pm
I was concerned about this, and the thought of having to strain after my tummy tuck scared me.

So, I ate very lightly for 3-4 days pre-op to Clem things out, similar to when I had my colonoscopy.

Then, I doubled up on my colace for 2 days pre op, and then used a normal dosage after surgery.

I did not have any problems.

Actually, being able to use the bathroom following my tt was a breeze. Squatting was no problem. I did not have any drains, so didn't have to pin anything up.
Kath

pagek77
on 5/20/12 6:50 pm, edited 5/22/12 4:41 am
 Unfortunately I don't have any advice but I'm glad you posted this because I am having constipation problems and I'm 5 days out from plastics.

Debra-does the herbal tea cause cramps or any painful side effects laxatives typically have?

Kath-did you use the Colace capsules? I couldn't find any non-capsule or non-liquid gel form of just a stool softener. I've been taking the Colace capsules but I don't know if I'm absorbing them.

ETA: Taking 3 Colace capsules each night seems to be helping now that I'm 6 days out but for the last few days it was seriously hell. If I had to do it over again, I think I would've started taking stool softeners every night a week before surgery. I was eating fairly light the few days before surgery (mainly protein shakes) and it was still awful. Today it's finally starting to turn around. At least considering I had 7 hrs of surgery the worst pain has been constipation ;). It hasn't hurt my stomach at all to try to go, it's mainly been my bottom :O. Also I asked if I could try the "smooth move" herbal tea but my doctor doesn't want me taking any herbal stuff until 2 weeks post-op so if you try that, just ask your doctor first since they all seem to have different opinions. I hope it's much easier for you!
southernbelle102
on 5/22/12 6:30 pm
 I tried everything after both of my surgeries and found that the only thing that helps me is glycerin suppositories (not the capsule, the tiny squeeze bottle).  It isn't fun to use those, but it WILL make you go... in like seconds.  The first time I went after my LBL was HORRIBLE because I hadn't gone in such a long time.  It was very painful.  After that they got much better.
***********************************************************************************************
"A year from now you will be glad that you started today"

This quote kept me going throughout my weight loss journey.  It is such a true statement!

I've lost 196 lbs through diet & exercise over the past 1.5 years and I feel amazing!! 

pagek77
on 5/24/12 4:53 am
 Also the nurse at my PS office said her grandmother's trick always works. She told me to buy a can of stewed prunes, heat them in the microwave, and eat the whole can or as many as possible. She said they're not the greatest tasting but that it works. I didn't have to resort to that because I was finally able to go but if all else fails, try that.
christine G.
on 5/24/12 10:30 am
 I took colace with every dose of pain medication and at least one cap ful of miralax every day in my protein shake and i was able to go ok even though i was taking percocet every 4-6 hrs for post op pain.  

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

Most Active