Looks like no plastics after all!

JazzyOne9254
on 6/4/12 9:28 am

I went to my fifth...or sixth ...consult today for thigh skin excision/thighplasty, and the doctor doesn't even take my insurance!

I was referred to him by my PCP, who I have an appointment with tomorrow. I'll discuss the outcome with her.  There's nobody else for me locally, so I would have to look at Carmel/Indy again, and the insurance issue comes up again - taking one but not the other.

I think I have spent all the energy I can on this...I have other things to do, and I'm just hitting one brick wall right after another.

As long as I keep my clothes on, I'll look OK. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MissCamp26
on 6/4/12 10:22 am
Hang in there, Jazzy. I know how frustrating this process can be, but don't give up on yourself. Regarding your procedure, do you know if your insurance will cover a thighplasty? I was lucky enough to get my abdominalplasty approved, but they denied me for my thighs.
JazzyOne9254
on 6/4/12 10:33 am, edited 6/6/12 1:16 am

You know, I really wish I could afford to go to Dr, Siamak Agha. His work is very, very good, from the pictures I saw.

I think it's just the fact that the type of insurance I have (Medicare and Medicaid) doesn't make it worth the doctor's time or skill to do what I need done.

My thighplasty falls into the medically necessary category, per my PCP, due to infections from compression garment friction. I may still have to wear a light body shaper even after surgery, but that fabric is cotton soft compared to the compression garment fabric!

LoriD70
on 6/4/12 1:31 pm - Fort Lee, NJ
I'm sorry you've been hitting road blocks.  Our insurance doesn't cover plastic surgery at all so I'm self pay.  Frustrating and expensive..I hope you're able to find a surgeon that can make it work with your insurance.  Good luck!
godzilla
on 6/4/12 4:09 pm - Israel
No advice - just empathy on your situation.
Mikimi in Israel
Amy Smith
on 6/4/12 10:22 pm
I have not advice, but wanted you to know that you are not alone. 
Keep fighting and hang in there.  Things will work out, they always do...not always in our time.

I was fortunate enough to get my abdominoplasty covered, but have paid out of pocket for everything else, even though the other things were more of a concern for me than the abdominoplasty.  Anyway, I ended up paying (and am still paying) out of pocket.  I got a Care Credit card, which gave me several months no interest and the rest I took a loan against an account for .2 or something rediculous like that (I will pay 50 dollars interest if I wait the entire 3 years to pay it off.

Hang in there!  It will workout1

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

JazzyOne9254
on 6/5/12 1:23 am, edited 6/5/12 1:39 am
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate all of you!

There is an extra kink that many of you may not be aware of.

I have been on Social Security Disability since 2005.  The likelihood of my getting Care Credit is very slim, since my only incme is my Social Security Check, and multiple medical bills have made my credit look like a lace curtain.

My SS check is "high", so I only get Medicare and Medicaid with a very high spendown, which essentially wants t the remainder of my Social Security Check, after "allowances" (about $400.00 total) for living expenses - my state has a standard allowance.  they don't use actual figures.

Amy,  it's interesting that you said not in our time, because that's exactly what I've been saying.  I've just spent so much energy on this, that I feel I need to just back off, suck it up for a minute, and revisit this later, though, since I'm 54, I don't have much more time.

I think If I had been in my 20's or 30's or even my 40's,  doctors would have been more willing to help.

Oh...cellulitis has attacked today, likely result of wearing my compression garment yesterday.  Cellulitis is the reason for needing this surgery in the first place.  I just don't understand whey these doctors don get it!

Most Active