swimming as exercise after surgery

Nicole T.
on 6/8/12 3:45 am
I was wondering if anyone swam as exercise after surgery? I was thinking that would be ideal initially because of low impact and it keeps your body heat down. any opinions?
LoriD70
on 6/8/12 4:33 am - Fort Lee, NJ
I could be totally wrong but I thought I read you can't get into a pool/lake/ocean for a period of time after the surgery.  Still haven't had my yet so I'm no expert!
Anne D.
on 6/8/12 8:09 am
It can take quite some time to be healed enough, all drains out, able to reach and stretch, etc. I would think walking would be a better idea, and you could work up to faster and longer walks based on ability. You should ask the doctor what they recommend. Good luck.

pagek77
on 6/8/12 8:13 am
 I'm 3 weeks out from a BR and ext. TT and I'm not allowed to submerge my incisions in any body of water: bathtub, pool, lake, et****il at least 1 month out. I'm pretty sure all of my incisions will be completely closed by then, but if I happen to have a little spot that isn't completely healed, I will wait longer. Generally by 6 weeks, I should not have ANY restrictions.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 6/8/12 8:20 pm
Swimming is my main exercise.  My surgeon said, NO SWIMMING for 8 weeks.  He wanted all of my incisions totally healed.  I had my thigh drain in for 5 weeks, so I wouldn't have gone swimming anyway until it was out - but then I waited the last 3 weeks per his order.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

NoMore B.
on 6/9/12 12:54 am
 There's a risk of infection until your incisions are completely healed.  Your surgeon will probably advise you to stay out of pools / hottubs / lakes for 6-8 weeks.
Most Active