Trying to decide between upper and lower body for August 7th

feistyemm
on 7/17/12 4:11 pm - Westchester, NY
I was just answering Sue and realized I should post a new topic because I am trying to make a decision...

I had my gastric bypass 7 years ago. I was 330 lbs. Five years ago (2 years later) at about 200 lbs. (after losing 130 lbs) I had a lower body lift and an upper/inner thigh lift. Since then I lost another 50 lbs. and I am seriously sagging in my butt and my thighs now. When I sit I am in a puddle of skin. My surgeon says he can do a lift and fix it pretty well. So that is one procedure I am "planning" to have.

Another procedure I am "planning" is an upper back lift (I have significant hanging skin at the bra line)and breast implants. Right now my breasts are pretty much just hanging skin with next to nothing inside. In the mid 80's I was a G cup hanging to my waist. I had a reduction to a large B (at that time I was around 200 lbs -- and 30 years old. I am now 57).

I AM SCHEDULED FOR THE UPPER BACK LIFT AND BREAST IMPLANTS ON AUGUST 7TH. I can change it to the lower body surgery instead. I am more bothered by the lower body stuff, but it is more drastic surgery, and I went through some difficulty with the lower body lift, i.e., MRSA, back waist opened up. So I'm conflicted because I am more nervous about doing the lower body one.

I must sound a bit nuts here, but issue is my nervousness about the surgery: I hate sitting in the puddle of skin. I am not happy with my hanging nothing breasts, but it does not make me as unhappy as the lower body. I'm almost ready to cancel the surgery altogether because the one I'm scheduled for perhaps does not bother me enough to even do it...

Add to this that I am getting married 3 days before the surgery, so please understand the added anxiety in this post and my sounding "abi-normal"! Please don't give knee-jerk responses of "just don't do it -- how can you do this near your wedding!" I only have summers to deal with this, as I am in education... and we are an older couple that have lived together for a while, so we are not going on a honeymoon. Timing is timing. Helpful thoughts, please?

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm
Surgery Date: 4/21/2005; HW: 333/ SW: 271/ CW:133/ GOAL: 150 or UNDER

Highest BMI: 54.7; BMI Now: 22.6 -- Jeans before surgery: 32. Now: 6
PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

godzilla
on 7/17/12 8:39 pm - Israel
Well-What does your partner think you should do?
What bothers you most physically/emotionally?
Is cost of different surgeries an issue?
What does your PS suggest/recommend?
Congratulations on your extra weight-loss.
Good luck on whatever you decide!
Mikimi in Israel
feistyemm
on 7/17/12 10:51 pm - Westchester, NY
1. His answer is always the same: "Whatever makes you happy." 
2. I'm more unhappy with the lower stuff.
3. I've wondered if there's a chance I could get insurance to cover the lower part due to hygiene problems, but I'm very very doubtful and think it would be ridiculous to wait for what I'm 95% sure would be a no.
4. His answer is always the same: "Whatever makes you happy." (Notice a pattern here?)
Thanks about the weight loss. Never thought I'd have people worrying about me not eating enough. I look up to heaven and call to my mom, "YOU were never a size SIX -- HA!!!" (My weight was ALL that mattered to her my whole life)

Mikimi, thank you so much for your helpful questions. I notice you are having surgery this summer as well? Best of luck with it. You've had quite a journey yourself.

Best,
Marla in New York

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm

PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

plum21
on 7/17/12 10:04 pm - Miami, FL
 If the lower body is bothering you more, then why not get that done. There's always next summer for the UBL. I wonder since you've had a LBL before if this one won't be as difficult? Less skin from the first time for sure, right?
Just do what feels right to you. When I read your post, it seems as though you're more interested in the LBL.
Make a decision and then breathe.
Don't forget to breathe.

feistyemm
on 7/17/12 11:03 pm - Westchester, NY
 This LBL would definitely be less of a procedure since my abdomen is a total non-issue - I have a totaly flat front (love that). They removed 13 lbs of skin in the original LBL. Now its just the thighs and butt that need to be pulled up. Its still an issue when they cut near the waist because you're always pulling it apart when you sit, bend, etc. 

If I was at the beginning again, would I do the original LBL? IN A HEARTBEAT. With all the problems. Now its not as serious. Just hard to look at every day. I will take your advice and breathe, continue to ruminate, because that is what I do, and I'll see what the doctor says... aaaarrrrggggh!

Thank you for your kind input.

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm

Laura in Texas
on 7/17/12 11:19 pm
I say do the lower part. My boyfriend sounds like yours (we've known each other over 20 years). He did not want me to have any surgery but afterwards he could tell I was so much more at ease mentally.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

feistyemm
on 7/18/12 7:48 am - Westchester, NY
 My guy has never had an issue with any of my skin, lack of girls, etc. He just wants me to be happy and healthy. I haven't really told him how nervous I am -- don't want him to start campaigning against it.

Marla

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm

Anne D.
on 7/17/12 11:40 pm
Can you do both together? I just did bl/ba with butt lift, see my post, and it wasn't a long procedure. I had that same pooling skin you are referring to, it's gone now! It gets pulled up to your butt. If you just do the butt lift without the tummy tuck it's easier because no muscle tightening, just skin. When they do the breasts they can extend the underneath incision further around to get more skin. My surgeon doesn't like to go all the way around in one surgery, much higher complication rate. That's why I did xtummy tuck with first surgery, then the butt lift with my second surgery. I will post pics in a few days.

feistyemm
on 7/18/12 7:43 am - Westchester, NY
 That is a great idea -- I don't know if the surgeon will do it, but I'll ask him next week if he thinks it would be too traumatic for my body -- at 57 it might be. I'd love to only have one more surgery!! I look forward to seeing your pictures! Thanks for the idea!

Marla

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm

NanceC
on 7/18/12 1:47 am
VSG on 10/05/17
Hi, I have not had plastics yet! 2013 will be my year and I need both upper and lower.  I would get the lower that is what is bothering you the most.  You want to be happy with your results.  Putting the lower off later will only bring you more anxiety and doing the upper is not going to bring you much happiness.  This is just my opinion.  Of course the decision is all yours to make:)  Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Nance 

Most Active