Getting ready for LBL. How long is recovery?

Braceface
on 12/15/15 5:52 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I am having LBL surgery in a week with out muscle tightening (probably). So my question is how long were you out of work for LBL and how did that compare to how long you were out of work for your RNY or sleeve surgery?

Dcgirl
on 12/15/15 6:52 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Your answers will TOTALLY vary.  It is really dependent on the person's health, how physical their job is, how  much work they have to do at home (do you have toddlers?  Dogs?)  and also to some extent, mindset, I believe.

I had my RNY on a Friday and took the following week off of work (since I worked from an office).  I didn't need the whole week, but I stayed at home and chilled out and walked and sipped.

I had my LBL and BL on a Friday and since I work at home, I took off Monday and Tuesday.  Then starting Wednesday I worked from home, doing calls, answering emails, etc.  If I had an office job, I would have taken a full week off.  I know some people take many weeks, but I didn't need to.

Here is my plastics post from a few months ago: Plastics post

I had my arm lift on a Thursday, hosted friends for lunch Friday, and walked my 10,000 steps Saturday.  I went to a bonfire Saturday night.

The muscle tightening was the only thing that was painful for me - nothing else hurt.  My first night at home I did not get up with an alarm to take my pain pills and when I woke up OWWWWWWW my stomach HURT! But after that, it was all manageable with some painkillers for the first few days, and Tylenol after that.

Good luck!  I love my new body - I hope you have the same success and happiness!

Braceface
on 12/15/15 7:12 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Thanks for the feedback. We share the same surgeon and like you I took 1 week off work for RNY and hope for the same post plastics.

Dcgirl
on 12/15/15 7:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Are you going to Dr. Michaels for your LBL?  Or did you have Dr. Shope for RNY?  :)

Braceface
on 12/15/15 7:52 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Dr Michaels

Dcgirl
on 12/15/15 8:00 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I adore adore adore him!  He has completely transformed my body!  I can't speak highly enough of him.  As a matter of fact, he is showcasing me on his Instagram right now!  Do you have Instagram?  Go look at DrJosephMichaels :)  You are in great hands!!!

Gwen M.
on 5/31/17 6:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I tend to think of myself as someone who has no issue seeing surgical pictures but... I think I shouldn't have looked at his Instagram :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sonnieN
on 12/16/15 8:42 am - grand rapids, MI

I was off for 4 weeks as that's what I was approved for w/ short term disability. For RNY I was off for 2 weeks. I probably could have gone back to work at 3 weeks as that's when I started going to the gym and walking however the afternoon naps for the last 2 weeks were really nice as you still have the effects of the anesthesia in your system.

Tracy D.
on 12/22/15 10:30 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had my LBL with muscle tightening on a Wednesday (July 8th) and went home Friday (I live 3 hours away - that was not a pleasant drive!).  I started working from home a few hours that Monday (1 hour on, 1 hour off).  I did this for 2 weeks and then returned to the office for half days  on July 27th.  I was back to f/t on Aug 3rd.  

I'm really glad I did it this way.  I minimized my PTO, kept up with most of the work but was able to rest and heal.  For sleeve surgery, I had it on a Friday and was back to work f/t ten days later.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active