1 year after surgery with Dr. Capella with pics

ICG63
on 1/29/17 9:02 am
Revision on 10/31/13

I had LBL, breast lift-reduction and arms on 1.25.16 with Dr. Capella.

I'll start by saying I'm grateful I was able to do it, and still glad I did.

I feel more comfortable in clothes and happier with my appearance. Especially around the belly, I've never been flat and that feels so much better.

I am surprised though to find out that I am the kind of person who scars badly :-(

If you see the pictures, a lot of my scarring is very red and widened, and just awful

I recently met with Dr. C, who, like he always said, is happy to revise now that it is a year after the surgery.

I thought I was gung-ho to do that, but now I'm not so sure. I might wait another year to see if anything lightens naturally.

I post this mostly as a cautionary tale. If you are ok with a chance of, despite successful, uneventful surgery otherwise, such scarring, go ahead with PS. Dr. Capella has a great reputation, so I think this is just a matter of how individual are healing is. Although there is one other caveat in my case. His assistant Scott was not working with him on the day of my surgery, so some of the stitching is think was not good at the outset, especially behind at the LBL. 

Still happy though and grateful I could do all of this.

Oh and I have a hard lump in my breast. Argh. Also some scarring on the inside :-(  Was checked out mammogram etc. and all ok, but it doesn't feel great to the touch.

OK that's all! Full disclosure! Hope this helps someone on their journey! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 3:39 am

OMG!!! You look great!  I have never seen before and afters better than Capella, and his pricing isn't outrageous      If I lived in NY, I would def use him for my arms.  

MyBariatricLife
on 1/31/17 7:59 am

I don't see any photos?

I had my surgery with Dr. Capella in 2013 (two stages). And I know many of his patients. And I will say that what you say is true, scarring depends largely on the patient. But it is likewise true that scarring depends largely on the surgeon's techniques. And I will say that based on my observations that Dr. Capella's patients have more noticeable scars. I had laser therapy done on my arms to both lighten and flatten the scars. So that is an option for you to explore that would not require surgery.

I am glad that you are happy with your results and would love to see your pix! The road is not an easy one but the end is surely worth the journey. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 1/31/17 8:31 am

I don't see any photos?

I had my surgery with Dr. Capella in 2013 (two stages). And I know many of his patients. And I will say that what you say is true, scarring depends largely on the patient. But it is likewise true that scarring depends largely on the surgeon's techniques. And I will say that based on my observations that Dr. Capella's patients have more noticeable scars. I had laser therapy done on my arms to both lighten and flatten the scars. So that is an option for you to explore that would not require surgery.

I am glad that you are happy with your results and would love to see your pix! The road is not an easy one but the end is surely worth the journey. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

grayC
on 1/31/17 11:21 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I'm 14 months out, and I have to say, I think your healing beautifully!!

I think it's the way that he stitches his incisions that cause more of a 

(for lack of a better word) scar...I reciently noticed that if he didn't 

close the way he does, I'd only have a one long type scar instead of that 

top/bottom discolored thing I got going on, but it is fading and I feel 

by this summer my arms will about as normal as their gonna get..

as for my stomach, it can take its time..no ones gonna see it...

NYMom222
on 2/2/17 11:36 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I think overall you look great. The scars don't look raised from what I can see... I don't know what kind of revision can be done on scars...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

AggieMae
on 2/2/17 7:53 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I can't see your photos but wanted to mention that if the hard lump on your breast is a keloid it can be treated. I had a few along a long suture line and they improved or disappeared when injected with corticosteroids.  

TOBYSGIRL
on 2/11/17 12:52 pm
VSG on 04/01/16

I think you look great. I have a consultation with Dr. Capella next week. How was your recovery? 

ICG63
on 2/12/17 1:59 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks TOBYSGIRL

Honestly I don't remember much about recovery. It went well except for some poor stitching initially.

If you see all my pics, it seems that some stitches started out a bit rough, so healing took longer.

I wrote about it earlier on. Maybe look at earlier posts?

I remember the drains are just so annoying. Pain is tolerable.

Constipation was the worst for me. Take stool softeners if this is a concern. Painkillers really block you, and using the bathroom is stressful/painful at first.

Dr. Capella's office is very organized and supportive. All questions or concerns are addressed promptly. So no fear in that area.

Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/17 9:22 pm

Have you tried scar gel with or without silicone scar strips ( they're expensive but reusable )

I found they literally softened lightened and smoothened the scars overnite .

Its also important to monitor and pluck out any hairs in the area lest they get caught up in the healing tissue .

Lastly I really like to shower with 2% salicylic acid body wash ( neutrogena sells a great grapefruit scented one for seven bux sold in the acne section of any drugstore) . The salicylic acid makes your skin cells turn over a little faster - basically making your skin act younger - more snap back less scarring.

I think you look GREAT by the way !

Most Active