Nursing & Calories!!

I_love_my_soldier
on 3/29/11 3:09 am - killeen, TX
RNY on 04/30/09 with
Hello ladies! I was wondering if anyone is nursing and having trouble getting enough calories? I am 6 weeks PP and since I had my baby I am having a hard time with food intake. I feel like I did when I was a few months out of surgery....I cannot tolerate much, food gets stuck, and I cannot eat certain foods. I am having trouble getting in even 800 calories a day. I know that is horrible since I am nursing! I do not want to eat and I cannot eat. With my first 2, while nursing, I had cravings and ate all the time. This time, I am turned off by food and when I actually want to eat I cannot. I take two bites and I am full or have no desire to eat. Protein shakes- forget it! I dump on them now more than ever. Has anyone had the same problem? Meanwhile- my milk supply is through the roof! 

Mommy to Ethan Lane 12/3/03 weighing 4lbs 11oz 17 3/4"

& Zachary Logan 5/12/07 weighing 3lbs 4oz 16"

& Gavin Liam Due 3/18/11 born 2/3/11 weighing 3lbs 15oz 17" 

I LOVE MY PREEMIES!

Lianne C.
on 3/29/11 3:19 am - Garden City, MI
I was starving like right after I would eat, I wanted to eat again! Nothing sounding appetizing though. I felt like every time I would eat there was an empty feeling I think it was because I was just not satisfied. Up until this past week that is. I actually noticed yesterday at 5pm that all I had to eat was a package of oatmeal for breakfast! The day before I was forcing myself to eat. I have been eating popcorn and pouring butter on top to add calories! Or baking salmon with butter. It is the best way I can think of to add calories. My son seems to be happy with it though.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
I_love_my_soldier
on 3/29/11 10:45 am - killeen, TX
RNY on 04/30/09 with
I was starving with my first two! I ate constantly while nursing! I couldn't get enough of food! I ate everything and anything and lost weight. Now- I can't eat anything! But...Im still losing. I have 6lbs until my pre-pregnancy weight. Whew.

I LOVE MY PREEMIES!

LSUtigerGirl
on 3/29/11 5:48 am
oh man. I am constantly starving but nothing sounds good, either and my sleeve feels super tight. I can barely eat more than a few bites of dense protein at a time.

I'm getting between 800-1000 calories a day and eating contstantly. Hummus and crackers is my "go to" snack at the moment (eating some right now while baby naps, lol) I'm also pouting butter on nearly everything I eat just to add calories and fat.

My little guy is gaining nearly a pound a week since birth (5 lbs in 5 wks) so I know he's getting plenty of milk, but I'm loosing 2-4 lbs a week!  It's so different nursing 1 baby this time, I feel like I have no milk compared to nursing twins. lol
I_love_my_soldier
on 3/29/11 10:48 am - killeen, TX
RNY on 04/30/09 with
Wow! Congrats on the lil' man gaining so well! My lil' guy was 3lbs 15oz at birth, 6 weeks ago, now he is 6lbs. I lost all but 6lbs of my pregnancy weight. I have been using ranch on my salad, and bacon, I have been trying to increase calories too! I eat Atkins bars b/c they are low sugar have protien, and  are YUMMY! Still not enough! 

I LOVE MY PREEMIES!

susiecutie76
on 3/29/11 6:11 am - Kenly, NC
I have had the food issues too but more like the food getting stuck kind of issues or taking 2 bites and feeling like I wished I hadn't ate at all. 

I am having issues with my supply though.  When I nurse she gets PLENTY but I have to pump at work and barely anything :(  I started on the Fenugreek and Praying this works b/c we have had to supplement with Formula while I am working just b/c we dont have enough breastmilk and I dont pump enough to just give Hannah the breastmilk.

Hope you all are doing well, I havent been on here in quite sometime--Love being a Mommy to this precious angel though!!

Hope the food issues get better for us all!!

Susie Q
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
I_love_my_soldier
on 3/29/11 10:44 am - killeen, TX
RNY on 04/30/09 with

What kind of pump are you using? Are you getting enough water and relaxing enough to have a good let down? I always used the Medela with my 3 boys and it really did a good job and I had no supply issues. I used Fenugreek too. If not, even nursing at night or once a day is helpful to the baby. Don't give up though!! Thanks for the encouragement! I am shocked because I swore , the way I ate during my pregnancy and what I was able to eat, I was ruining my pouch! 

I LOVE MY PREEMIES!

ajalew
on 3/29/11 9:39 am - Sanford, MI
Most all protein shakes have additives that can trigger dumping syndrome in some people, but Rainbow Light Protein Energizer doesn't have much added to it and it is a non-soy plant based protein.  I've never heard of anyone whose stomach can't tolerate this even when they can't tolerate anything else.  Plus, it has added spirulina, spinach, kale, and other essential greens that will give you a lot of energy (it comes in vanilla and chocolate flavor).  

It's not high calorie at only 100 cals per scoop.  But mix it with some yummy vanilla Almond Milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, and greek yogurt and you'll have a delicious smoothie!  That will help you get in essential nutrients for you and baby plus enough protein.  

I am on a mostly liquid diet right now and I love this stuff.  I have a hard time tolerating any solids, like you, and if I didn't get most of my calories from this drink and from another organic drink called Orgain I'd be in trouble since I'm 7 months pregnant.  

Also, something that has helped me eat MORE is taking a digestive supplement.  It helps your stomach break food down better and use what is in the food you're eating better (versus it passing though undigested or not fully digested).  It could really help you get in more nutrition even if you're not eating a lot of calories. 

I had to really work to find a liquid diet that worked for me during pregnancy because I am sensitive to so many foods and additives.  If you want more ideas on things to eat to keep your calorie consumption up AND nutritional needs met for BFing send me an message I'd be happy to offer some other ideas.  :)
I_love_my_soldier
on 3/29/11 10:49 am - killeen, TX
RNY on 04/30/09 with
Thank you! I will look into it! I never heard of it. I didn't have this much trouble before my pregnancy. It is like having a brand new pouch again.

I LOVE MY PREEMIES!

kaychat
on 3/30/11 10:35 am

I'm nursing my 2 1/2 month old, stuggled with my milk supply so I increased my calories only to gain weight and now I'm hungry all the time! Increasing the calories and taking a supplement called More Milk Plus has increased my milk supply, but now I've gained 7 pounds in the last month. (After losing all but 3 lbs of my pregnancy weight) It's been hard to gain weight again when I'm so eager to get back in my clothes, but I'm trying to keep in mind that bfing is worth the sacrifice. :) 
In the first few weeks after giving birth I wasn't hungry either, but I wasn't producing. So I don't think you're having a problem at all. I'm jealous!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1252 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 865 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1327 views