using a low dose bcp... could I get pg just using that after RNY??

Christie N.
on 9/9/11 12:48 am - Riverton, UT
I had to have my Mirena IUD out a few months ago in the end of April, due to it causing some side effects for me (and feel great since it's been out, yay!!).  Since then, hubby and I have used condoms AND I was put on a low dose bcp (generic of Lo-Estrin)- so 5 months now on those 2 forms of bc. 

Well a few times in the last 2-3 weeks, hubby and I DTD and didn't use a condom like 3 times and I wonder if I can get pregnant just using the pill (since I guess I don't absorb 100% of it??).  It sucks using a condom all the time and honestly, doing it w/o the condom feels a lot better!!  LOL

I am cycle day 12 right now and we DTD at cd 7 and 10 w/no condom.  I take the pill the same time every day and wonder if I'm really absorbing it 100%.  Does anyone know if we absorb meds 100%?   We have 3 kids right now and are pretty sure we're done but I think maybe one more would be great- but I don't want to get pregnant for another year (my youngest is 18 months old).  My hubby wants to get a vasectomy done but I'm not ready for something that permanent yet, since I'm not sure about being done having kids yet.

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

Jennifer H.
on 9/9/11 1:38 am - stockton, CA
I was on my pills prior to surgery and then the 19 months after tell I stop taking them and in that 19 months nothing happen we never used a condom which wasnt a good thing because a lot of people do get pregnant on the pill after surgery.Right after I stop taking wasnt long at all tell I was pregnant.If you dont want to be I would use one as I should have just lucky it didnt happen sooner.It took us six years of trying before my surgery and his and first round took four months of trying and this time only a month so be very careful if your not ready.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

hockeybabe2u
on 9/9/11 4:04 am - Allegan, MI
I took Yasmine for 2 years and didn't get pregnant.  I don't know why I wasn't thinking about the malabsorbtion part and luckily I didn't get pregnant.  But you are right, we don't absorb pills 100%, so another form of birth control should be used if you want to feel more confident you wont get pregnant.  Even then, I've seen woman on here that used 3 different forms of birth control and still got pregnant.  I guess when the time is right, the time is right! 

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

linda.traxler
on 9/9/11 4:18 am - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
The official recommendation for post-op RNY folks is to use an method other than oral contraception because of the malabsorption....  Nuva Ring is a good alternative....  Otherwise, unless you want to role the dice, use a back up method if you're using oral contraception...

p.s. Glad you feel better with the Mirena out... it causes side effects for quite a number of people
Christie N.
on 9/9/11 6:35 am - Riverton, UT
yeah we have been using condoms (as a 2nd form of bc) with the bcp for the past few months since I got the IUD out in the end of April. I think once we are for sure done with having kids, we'll have my hubby do the vasectomy- but that probably won't be for a few more years.

The Mirena was making me a little weird (a little anxious, depressed, irritated easily, and just not feeling well mentally) and I finally had enough and got it out in the end of April. Within like 2 hrs of having it out, I felt something different in my body, a good different. By two DAYS, I felt back to myself and so glad that I had it out!!!!! After I get off this hormonal bc one day soon, I am never doing an IUD or any other form of bc, it just messes too much with me and makes me into a witch. That's why hubby is going to do the V one day!

Catnip
on 9/9/11 1:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Honestly, You are playing with Fire!

What about a non hormonal IUD?

I had one and it worked great.  I was not willing to try the hormonal IUD becasue frankly I don't want extra hormones in my body. (i get the same reaction as you to hormones).  

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

linda.traxler
on 9/9/11 6:58 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Christie, I think the big V is a great idea.....  my husband will also be getting one, although he hasn't quite accepted that fact.  Just keep being careful, unless of course you want another one... than, of course, that's ok too!

Could be best to avoid all hormonal methods if Mirena did that to you!!  No need to feel like that!

Take care!!
Christie N.
on 9/10/11 1:59 am - Riverton, UT
I've heard that the Paraguard (non hormonal IUD) can cause really heavy and painful periods and honestly, I don't want to deal with anymore bcp's or IUD's because my body is just really sensitive to meds now and anything up inside of me changing my natural hormone balance. I want dh to be the one in charge of bc this time around, so we'll use condoms if I get off the bcp.

And I'm not playing with fire if I am thinking of eventually having one more (and then being done). We might ttc in another 6 mos or a year for another one, but I don't want one right now or before 6 mos. My baby is only 17 months right now and I want him a little older before I get pregnant. If we were 110% sure we were done having kids, this wouldn't even be an issue for us, hubby would've had the V done right away!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1276 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views