8 weeks pregnant after VSG

Mrs.Ward789
on 10/1/11 1:24 pm
So far things are going well.  I have lost 6 lbs since finding out about being pregnant.  We had our second sonogram on Wednesday and we were able to see and hear the heartbeat!  I cried.  It was so neat, and it finally hit my husband that YES there's a baby in there.  He laughed that it took him until 8 weeks for it to hit him that he's going to be a daddy.

Ok, so here's to the guts of my question--I don't want a normal hospital birth.  I met with a Midwife at a local birthing center and she says contrary to what others say, post op WLS patients are NOT high risk.  I way less of a risk now 73 lbs lighter than I was before.  However, that being said she told me she's not afraid to go to the hospital for any and every concern.

That made me feel better, I spent my whole career so far in Women's Services at local hospitals and it has shown me what I DO NOT want.  First 3 years, it was all Neonatal ICU.  Next 2 years was Newborn Nursery, Post Partum, Labor and Delivery, GYN, Antepartum: literraly all of women's services. 

I am tired of people telling me that I am being unsafe.  The birthing center that we have chosen is literally in the shadow of the hospital I worked at. She told me, of all the births she's done (over 100) she's transported 2 moms, never any babies, and it was for post birth bleeding.

That makes me feel better knowing what I know about the hospital, where you're flat on your back, no eating/drinking, IV, forcing an epidural, etc.  Being a post WLS patient I want to eat and drink at my pace, all day, I want to have the strength to push my baby ot without an epidural.

Before everyone thinks I'm going at this to be a warrior-I'm not.  I just want to be relaxed.  Hospitals DON'T relax me, at all.  I'm part of the patient system.  I don't get a say.  I have seen too many times where they say "You've done this long enough, ready for your epidural now?"  Or everyone getting C sections at 5pm because of "failure to progress" or "non reassuring fetal heart tones."

I don't mean to rant/vent, it just kinda happened that way.  I feel better now and I feel like I am making a safe choice for myself and my baby.  That being said though, I am still going to my OB and if ANYTHING is out of the ordinary I will listen and go to the hospital, but I had surgery to lose weight and my health issues.  I should be fine to have a baby, women have been having babies for thousands of years now.  I'm no different.  Good night all.  :)

Highest Weight: 285 Surgery Weight: 270 Current Weight: 226 Goal Weight: 145
mandajolyn
on 10/1/11 4:05 pm - Tallahassee, FL
You Do what makes you comfortable and what's best for you and baby! My ob said unless there's big issues there's not really much reason for a wls patient to be high risk. It's more common these days and OBs and Midwives are learning to treat WLS patients because it's not as rare.
Glad you got to see your lil bean!! That first U/S was when it finally sank in and became real! DH was in awe and the moment he saw the baby and saw and heard that little hb he was hooked!! 
Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy and a calm, comfortable birth! I hope you're able to have the experience you're wanting!!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

USAF Wife
on 10/1/11 8:39 pm
Many congrats ! ! ! I'm all for whoever choosing how they want to deliver, and I really don't understand why someone would give you grief. It's not like they operated on your girly bits when they performed your VSG.

And, I agree that VSG has not complicated my pregnancy in any aspect. I have had zero issues related to my VSG, and the pregnancy. It's all the other medical issues that have made me high risk.

Best wishes ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Lexa321
on 10/1/11 9:52 pm - weston, FL
congrats on your pregnancy... with my last baby i seriously considered a home birth... talk about unsafe huh? LOL.. anyway... everything was inline for one until i came back + for my group b strep... i knew it was now out of the question because i needed the antibiotics ( some say i didnt... but for me i had to do what i felt was safest for all of us)... anyway.... good luck!
hockeybabe2u
on 10/2/11 12:21 am - Allegan, MI
I totally get what your saying!  I have a midwife too, but choose to have my babies at the hospital....just in case....plus like Lexa, I have Group B Beta Strip....so need antibotics!  But, I have had 3 births naturally without an epidural.  My 1st born son is the ONLY one that I had any pain relief (stadahl...spelling) and it made me hullicinate (again spelling).  They also gave me poticin with him...I think because my water broke and he was my 1st born, so they thought the labor would be slower.  With my last 2 children I had completely drug free deliveries and all went smoothly!  I'm aiming for the same with this one (just hoping he's not breech like we think he might be). 

I think there is NOTHING wrong with having your child at a birthing center and with it being so close to the hospital is great.....just in case!  I found what helped me extremely during child birth was sitting in a jacuzzi tub!  Best of luck to you and I hope all goes the way you plan!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

VictoriousSecret
on 10/2/11 5:47 am
Your choices are yours to make. Anyone disagreeing needs to realize that. Giving birth is very personal. I know of many friends who had the typical hospital experience and hated it. I know I don't want that. I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes, but I know it will be my decision to make with hubs, and no one else's.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1276 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views