PCOS Treatment after RNY

SooGorg3ous
on 4/11/12 5:24 am - Durham, NC
Hi all, I was looking around and wanted to introduce myself, I'm Gerilyn .

I underwent RNY 7-19-11 of last year and so far I've lost 73lbs. Anywhoo I just moved and had an appt. with my new obgyn @ Duke medicine. I was diagnosed with pcos at 14 but all anyone ever did was put me on bc. I never took the bc as prescribed in fact I hated it the way it changed my regular menses andthe fact that they (Drs) always wanted to put me on it. My menses were and have never been irregular. I do have a number of the other symptoms and now that I'm older and want to have a child/children soo bad.  I'm lost as to which direction to turn. I adamantly told my new obgyn @ duke I have no desire to be prescribed bc I just don't see the purpose so she ran some labs at my request and we're supposed to go from there with the results Tuesday. I'm nervous. One of the major reasons for me undergoing RNY was to get this in check. Idk...... my question really is where to start after having the surgery and did anyone have problems with absorption afterwards??
MusicMaryn
on 4/11/12 7:09 am - San Jose, CA
BC Pills DO NOT work with RNY patients.  We do not absorb all of the hormones in the pill and it's useless.  Also, most bariatric surgeons STRONGLY recommend waiting 18-24 months after you have your WLS to start TTC.  Many women have gotten preggers prior to that 18 mo window, but it can be a struggle.  Surgeons want us to wait until we're at least 18 mos out so that our bodies can typically lose the desired excess weight and more importantly, so our bodies figure out its new norm.  The body goes through MASSIVE changes in the first 18 mos post op.  Give your body a chance.  Just focus on getting your health back.  The less you weigh, the easier it will be to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

AND... you probably should get on some form of BC, that's not an ingestible pill.  IUD is a good bc method for RNY'ers.

Good luck on your weight loss journey and having a baby will come later.  OH... and don't worry about getting older (I don't know how old you are now.)  But I'm 41 and my baby is due 4 wks before I turn 42 and this is a tremendously healthy pregnancy.  I lost 150 lbs before getting pg.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

SooGorg3ous
on 4/11/12 8:48 am - Durham, NC
Aww..thats sweet Maryn...thanx for responding and for the advice. Congrats on ur pregnancy
mksgr1
on 4/12/12 3:25 am
 I was disagnosed with pcos when I was 15 and had major problems all my life.  I tried to get pregnant before even going through fertility treatments.  I got pregnant with the treatments but had a miscarriage.  I was on bc after wls and it worked fine for me.  I went off about 1 year after surgery and got pregnant the first time.  I am now 10 weeks pregnant.  I lost 113 pounds before pregnancy.  It is possible but you should try loosing as much weight as possible first.  I was about 10-12 pounds above my goal before I started trying.  I know it is frustrating and you feel unsure of the future.  It can happen.  Good luck.
ochikezie
on 4/12/12 8:34 pm - Essex, MD
My story is a little bit different hahaha. I got pregnant 4months out of Surgery I had lost 86 pounds at the time. I was diagnosed with PCOS, and given bc prior to the surgery. the bc did regulate my menses, but the gyn saaid I still was not ovulating . She said natural conception was out of the question because my eggs were not maturing. She ecomended I see an endocrinologist and a couple other gists that she could think of lol. She did mention that as long as I was so overweight (345lbs) at the time, that my female hormones were turning to male hormones blah blah blah who wants to hear that type of news I went through all the pressions in the world depression oppression repression you get the idea lol. I laugh about it now because I decided to loose the weight I had thr RNY and everything kicked into high gear all by itself. I initially was a little sad that I did not get to enjoy the weightloss but I later saw that was foolinsh of me because my whole reason for getting the surgery was to be able to start a family. now I am on baby number two. Loving myself and my family. As long as I am eating healthy, and now that I know what to do to maintain this new healthy lifestyle I am GOOD. All this is to say you know what you did what you did we all have our stories and oppinions but altimately my dear its your final say so and yes my first son was absolutely healthy, natural delivery and this pregnancy is smooth as well, and all my labs aand vital are great. Good luck on your journey whatever you decide to do.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1269 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 873 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1344 views