plateau already?

Kim H.
on 5/31/11 3:57 pm - Duluth, MN
I am 3 months out (exactly) from surgery, and my weight is staying very constant. I have not really lost any weight for about a month now. Am I doing something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else? I would love your input. Thanks!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 6/1/11 12:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stalls/plateaus are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls/plateaus can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 6/1/11 12:21 am - Joliet, IL
Kim

I'm not really a good example because I would plateau constanly in the beginning.  Not untill I started to workout did I have a consistent weight loss.  Now that I have lost 150 lbs, I am plateauing more often now.  Unfortunately the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is to lose.  What I do when I haven't lost weight one week...I increase the intensity of my workout.  That usually kicks the weight loss back into gear the next week.  In your case I would make sure you are following the proper diet and if your protein and fluid intake are good then look at your activity level.  Are you working out...if not start.  If you are working out then change up your workout and/or increase the intensity or time you workout.     

Good luck.
Kim H.
on 6/1/11 2:03 am - Duluth, MN
Thank you for your input. I have not been working out as I should be so I will definitely kick that up a notch, and I will make sure my portions and types of foods are the best they can be. I am only about 20 pounds from the doctor's goal for me..30 pounds from where I would like to be.

~Kim~

Most Active