Revision?? Need serious responses only

lori J.
on 8/16/11 10:08 pm - westminster, md
I am 7 1/2 years post-op. Started at 308lbs. The lowest I ever reached was 193lbs. And now I hold steady at 202-205lbs.  I'm continuously dieting.  The weight won't move.  I had read some on the "ROSE" procedure and now hear a lot about RNY revision.  I think I really want to do the revision because 1.  I never made goal of 140lbs.  2. I can't seem to lose anymore no matter what my diet is.  3.  I'm afraid if the scale doesn't move I will give up and gain everything back.

Questions:
What is the wait time for a revision?
What revision options are there?
Would you say in most cases you have to do the 6 months supervised weight loss again?
Is it possible to shrink my current pouch and if so, how???

For private responses feel free to email me:  [email protected]

Frankie
on 8/17/11 4:37 am - NY
Lori,

I had RNY 6 1/2 years ago, started at my highest weight of 302, surgery weight 287.  My lowest weight was 160.  I had a baby post op in 2009, but in 2008 I gained 15 lbs which I struggled to get off.  After I had my baby I initially lost baby weight then hit a stall.  Realized that I could eat more and was always hungry.  I gained 80lbs so far.  I heard the ROSE procedure is a waste of time and money and the vets on this board will tell you DON'T DO IT!!!

I am revising to DS, just got approval from my insurance. 

1.  There is no wait time for a revision, just going thru the steps lke the seminar, nutritionist, psych evaluation etc.

2.  revision options:  DS (check out www.dsfacts.com), ERNY, Sleeve.

3.  My insurance didn't ask for a 6 month weight loss, check your policy for revision surgery.

4.  don't think so.

Research, research and ask the vets here on this board they are a WEALTH OF INFORMATION!  Good luck on whatever you decide.

Frankie

teachmid
on 8/17/11 7:04 am - OKC, OK
Lori,
Several of your questions Would be specific to your insurance policy. There is no waiting time.....just whatever hoops need to be jumped through. Also, insurance and physician will take into consideration your current BMI and whether you have any comorbidities.

Your choices: Stomaphyxis (doesn't work), ROSE ((doesn't work), band over the pouch (I would stay as far away from the band as possible), ERNY, revision to another RNY, DS.

I had a RNY in 1989 and was revised to a DS last December. So, of course, I'm pro DS. good luck on your research.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 1:54 pm
I had my RNY July 2008, original weight was 237, lowest 145.  I had an revision done on August 1, 2011, my weight was 154 the morning of surgery.  My surgeon reduced the size of my stomach and closed the opening to maximum closure without completely closing.  As of today I have lost 13 lbs.  Many people will tell you don't do the revision to RNY, that's your decision, but for me, I am glad I had it done.  My goal has always been 138, if I get to 130 I would be even happier (and I will).  I did not have to do the six months weight loss process.

Good luck!
Sherline
lori J.
on 8/17/11 8:58 pm - westminster, md
Thank you for your responses. Very helpful. Just one more thing...is it possible to get the pouch to shrink without surgery?
I live in Westminster, MD and looking for a doctor. Any suggestions?

teachmid
on 8/18/11 2:48 am - OKC, OK
Basically the two procedures which were to help with the pouch, Stomaphyxix and ROSE, do not work. You'd just be wasting your money.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

DonnaCrosland
on 8/18/11 3:42 am - WA
There is a pouch test - 5 day test - and with the band if you have stretched  your pouch - they unfill you and put you on liquids for 10 days.  Both do the same thing - if you stomach (which is a basically elastic organ) will shrink is part one - the other part is - will it stay.  In my case it did not - it had stretched and I had the band removed and a revision is planned for Oct 3rd to sleeve. 

One thing that we all need to realize is that there is a real possiblity that any of these procedures will at some point in time - stop working due to one reason or another - and we will need a revision.  It's the same with any procedure - your body figures it out...

Good luck with your research.  Take care and do what you need to do to make yourself healthy and happy - as we all deserve that!

Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics