POST OP PAIN

katie42582
on 8/18/11 7:35 am - Ithaca, NY
Hello everyone-

It's been a long time since I've ventured to this site but I need some help. On July 26 I had revision surgery. A lapband was removed and a RNY performed. I spent several days in the hospital and was released with no complications. I can eat and drink and am working toward my protein goals everyday. My problem is I'm 3.5 weeks out and still in considerable pain. I realize this was major surgery but I didn't expect this at all. It is not getting any better, in fact it's getting worse. I saw my surgeon and he told me everything's fine it's just going to take time.

To those who have had this surgery can you please tell me how long it took to feel better? I still cannot drive and some days I can hardly walk or stand upright. The pain is currently a stinging/burning/piercing pain. I just need some information from others about their experiences so I can maybe see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was supposed to go back to work this past Tuesday but took another week off and at this point since I'm not getting any better I'm wondering if I'll even be able to go back next Tuesday.

I appreciate your input. Also, one more thing: My belly still looks really distended bloated. I look pregnant...I've lost 26lbs so far but have this huge gut in the front still and do not yet have control of any of my ab muscles. I know this is from the stretching of the muscles when the gas was put into my belly as well as the surgery itself. When will my belly look more "normal" again and when will I regain control of my muscles again? My fat pants barely fit I'm still so distended...

THANK YOU all for your help!

Hislady
on 8/18/11 9:48 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I haven't had the RNY but dang that sounds way too long to be in that much pain. From your description of the pain I'd be afraid of an infection. If it were me I'd be a big ol' pain in my docs butt till he investigated or at least looked at it to make sure nothing is going on, maybe a cat scan just to make sure. Hope it gets better soon!
Keema1109
on 8/18/11 11:07 am
I am a little over 1 week post op, I am still in pain also but my Dr. stated that everyone's body reacts differently to the revision. I had a band removal, gallbladder removal and bypass all at once so my pain is to be expected. I hope that you start to feel better soon. Vitamins, protein and walking are going to help you heal quicker. Good luck with your recovery!
Pupcake !.
on 8/19/11 6:41 am - Stranded in, IA
Have you had any other abdominal surgeries besides the band?

The RNY is major surgery and it really beats you up inside- you should watch the videos.

If the pain muscle/abdominal related (not related to when/what you eat) then I would think it is normal.  The muscles have been cut in 4-5 places and then all the gas, stretching/moving things around.. ugh pain.

Try a support garment to hold your belly together.  (fairly cheap and in many sizes at wal mart).  The pressure of the garment helps with the pain & gas.  I wore mine for months after my hernia/TT.

Work on slowly stretching the muscles out.  From bending over and protecting your stomach they could have become tight.

Good luck

Pup

C-section
Open RNY
X-lap/bowel resection
Hernia repair/TT
Hematoma evacuation

Too many abd surgeries!

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Most Active