"Bobsters" or other options, in the NYC/NJ area?

sharon K.
on 3/6/12 10:17 am - north arlington, nj
Hi, I had RNY over 10 years ago and have been gaining for the last two years.
I have seen Dr. Schmidt in Paramus, NJ who's assistant has told me, (after barium swallow test) that my stomach did not stretch, still intact, however, the opening has stretched and he recommends the lap bad to slow absorption... My thoughts are why band my stomach or fix what is not broken.  I am meeting officially with the Surgeon (Dr. Schmidt) in two weeks to discuss, face-to face what my options are.. just wondering if anyone has a similiar situation and what other options are available, or if you  have had a band over bypass, what is your experience?
heathercross
on 3/7/12 8:56 am - New York, NY
 Hey Sharon, I see you emailed me but it wouldn't let me read it. Why don't you email me direct ([email protected]). I had a BOB in NYC with Dr. Kurian at NYU.  She was Roker's surgery. She has a bunch of BOB patients. I also saw Dr. Roslin, Lenox Hill, but, he was pushing me more towards a RNY revision and I didn't want to risk the complications.  My stomach/pouch has stretched not my opening, its still as is.  I love my Band. I've had it since June, I've lost close to 60lbs and I have restriction and I amnever really hungry unless I don't eat for lie 8+ hours.  Please check out my profile, I've tried to be good about documenting stuff and I just added you as a friend. Email me with any questions until I figure out why I cannot read messages on OH.

sharon K.
on 3/7/12 10:51 am - north arlington, nj
divakay2
on 3/9/12 9:53 pm
Dr Roslin at Lenox Hill NYC does revisions.I was revised to a DS because of a strecthed stoma(regain all my weight) and dumping from all food.I revised and have lost 65lbs since 9/27. Good luck on your journey...............................................................................................Kenya
Frankie
on 3/12/12 6:19 am - NY
HIJACK - Hi Kenya, how are you doing?  Glad to see you on the board.   You've done well since the revision congrats!

Fran

divakay2
on 3/12/12 11:34 am

Hi Frankie
Thanks so have you,I'm doing good trying to get healthy............Kenya

sharon K.
on 3/12/12 11:01 pm - north arlington, nj
Hi Kenya... Is "Stoma"  the same as "opeming from the stomach"  That is what I was told I have.  I do know I can eat more and more often and am rapidly gaining weight and so disappointed.  I was doing so well, now my stomach feels numb again.
  What kind of revision did you have?  They are suggesting a lap band.  if that is what works I am more than happy to do it, but it just does not make sense to me to put a band around my stomach that did not stretch, i'm wondering if they can just fix the opening?  is that what you did?  I appreciate your advice and time.. thanks.. Sharon  [email protected]
divakay2
on 3/13/12 8:40 am
Hi Sharon
I had a DS revision with Dr Roslin and yes the stoma is the opening at the end of the RNY pouch.I was offered a lap-band also over my RNY(a BOB)but seeing the issues with lapband get filled and unfilled was not for me. Plus no real reassurance/data supporting longterm weightloss visit DSfacts.com for more info and this link  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Trans cript-of-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/ 
.........................................................................Kenya
sharon K.
on 3/13/12 10:47 am - north arlington, nj
Hi... Thank you so much for that information...Now you have me thinking...although I am not exactly sure what the DS is, but is it very risk to an RNY er....how do you know if you qualify?  I am right outside of NYC so DR. Roslin is convenient..I am meeting with a surgeon to discuss my options, he seems definative about the band, but just makes you wonder who to trust, I don;t know if he wants to do that because it is what he is good at or it is truly the best thing for me...I do appreciate being able to get info from you...was there a long recovery after your surgery?  were you a high risk?  Did you have to wait long to schedule with this doc?  any problems or regrets since?
my email is [email protected].. thanks again, I appreciate your time and help
divakay2
on 3/14/12 11:20 pm, edited 3/14/12 11:21 pm
I did have some complications after. Would I do it again yes.He's not a big fan of the band for good reason most people on the board are revising from Rny or Band, I have yet to see a DS revising not all people have issues I had many health issues prior to surgery diabetes on insulin(52 units not anymore)on blood pressure meds(5 pills a day not anymore) and I'm enjoying food.I'm exercising again(arthritis still here but dealing with it)I had vitamin deficiencies prior to surg and I dealt with it and my last labs were great no deficiencies.No I had no problems getting appt with him I actually waited to make sure if this is what I wanted to do and I'm so glad I did..........................Kenya 

PS wish I had knew about the DS before my RNY
Most Active