Anyone have a lap band after RNY Gastric Bypass? BOB?

jillS
on 8/19/13 5:25 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hello,

I had RNY gastric bypass 7 years ago.  I was very successful and lost almost all of my excess weight.  After about the 5 yr mark, I started to put a few pounds, which turned in a few more, and now I find myself back at 250 (My heaviest was 326).  I feel awful and depressed and disappointed in myself.  Last week I went to see a different bariatric surgeon (mine has since moved out of state).  He said that most likely what's happening is my stoma has stretched and sent me for a barium esophogram test.  If that's the case after he gets the results, he recommended a lap band to tighten the stoma back and give me that restrictive feeling again.  He also said he has done this many times and has seen it be very successful.  I have heard of many revisions from lap band TO bypass, but never the other way around.  I am waiting for the dr to get the report from the barium study and will be going back this week.

One more thing...I do not currently have bariatric coverage on my insurance so would be self paying if I go ahead with this lap band over bypass.  I would so appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this revision.

Thanks! 

Jill

Ladytazz
on 8/19/13 3:19 pm

That is the revision Carnie Wilson got.  I haven't heard how well she has done but I did recently read a post by someone here who had a BOB and was very successful.  Personally I would rather be fat then live with a lap band from all the things I have heard about it.  For one thing it is almost a guarantee that more surgery will be necessary and I have had enough to last a life time.  I'm not sure what the answer is to an enlarged stoma as the other treatments I have heard about, the ROSE procedure and sclerotherapy, seem to be a waste of money.  I think the only real option would be a sleeve where you get rid of the stoma entirely and put the pyloric valve back in play, either with or without the DS.  A very difficult revision and hard to find a surgeon skilled at it but much worth it in the end for quality of life.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mommyoff4
on 8/22/13 11:29 am - OK

Hi Jill,

I am looking into a revision also. My RNY was September of 2005.  It was very successful.  My goal was to have children after surgery as I was unable to conceive prior to my by-pass.  I became VERY fertile and had four beautiful babies.  LONG story short, they are now 6, 5, almost 4 and just turned 2.  I started my first pregnancy at 145 lbs.  After he was born, I got down to 155 lbs.  After my second son, I got back to 165.  After my third son, I got back to 145.  I was so proud of myself. With my daughter I had a serious disk problems and extreme hip pain.  I have not lost weight after her birth and I'm very bumbed out.  I am back at 231 lbs.  My pre op weight was 255 with highest ever 271 lbs. The depression is back, lack of motivation you name it. 

I am looking into a revision as my stoma has been stretched WAY out supposedly due to multiple pregnancies so close together.  I have just started looking into a revision - like today!  IDK what options are out there but I sure hope we both are successful again!  Oh, my surgeon moved out of state too.  So I'm looking for a new doctor.  JOY.

Kim

heathercross
on 9/10/13 8:58 am - New York, NY

I had a Band-over-Bypass (BOB) in June of 2011. I lost all my regained weight.  I love my BOB but its hard work, its a diet and not easy-breezy like the RNY.  Check my profile, I've posted a good bit.  Message me if you have questions.

Heather

RNY (Open) August 2002 305-175

BOB (Lap) June 2011 250 -175

heathercross
on 9/10/13 9:19 am - New York, NY

Oh, and P.S. the BOB doesn't do anything to your stoma.  if you stomas is stretched, you should consider an RNY revision. IMO, a BOB will not help you if your pouch is still small.

Well, I actually went from a band to a bypass. However, my ex husband had a bypass in 1999 and in 2007 got a BOB. He lost 200 on the bypass and 100 more on the BOB. Was successful on all areas. HOWEVER, he had to have the BOB removed because it was slipping. I had a slipped band, replaced it and then still revised to the RNY! In the end his band had cause damage around the stoma causing it to this like wet kleenex and the surgeon described. He is maintaining weight because one thing the band does, it forces you to change your eating habits. But, imo, if you are NOT an overeater, the band will NOT work for you.  You will be able to eat around it, if you do not make a true commitment to a lifestyle change. I do believe in it for some, but it's not as "EASY" for lack of a better word (I hate that) as the bypass.

Terri

Terri D.
Certified Life Coach with Specialization in Weightloss and Bariatrics
Working towards Bachelors in Exercise Science with specialation in Bariatrics
Revision to Gastric 4/9/2009 from Lapband

At goal at 7 months.... thanks to lifestyle change, exercise, & an acai berry drink.  Inflamation in body-Gone, Headaches- Gone

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9LYB37/">
 _fcksavedurl=http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9LYB37/weight.png">>

gal92626
on 5/13/14 4:33 am - Santa Ana, CA

I had a BOB on 10/10/13 after regaining almost 40 lbs. in a very short amount of time after gastric bypass which I had just over 5 years ago. My pouch was a bit stretched but more so the opening.

I had one fill and so far have only good things to report about my band. Having the band placed close to the opening slows the flow of food out of the pouch so it does in fact work even if your pouch is not stretched out.  I lost all the weight I gained and am working on losing more.

This was a great option for me and I love my band. True, it is not as easy as the bypass was. This band won't take my overeating one bit. I've experienced pain and vomiting when that happens. So long as I do not overeat, I'm fine. It's a tough lesson for me but it is working.

Good luck to all!

Gina :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics